Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still dealing with problems getting a good wheel for my car after repairs from the accident that happened forever ago. the wheels on my car were in fantastic condition, very well cared for, and now one of them is ruined. insurance would only pay for a used wheel which when it arrived looked terrible. the surface is scratched up and damaged, there were blemishes in the chrome surfacing and chrome was peeling off the back of it. Insurance made an offer to have the previous wheel rechromed. not really an option because of how long it took, but I need some info on rechromed aluminum wheels. if anyone has any experience, I have been told that a remanufactured wheel will not hold up. I have been told that rechromed parts last about a year and begin to peel after that time. if anyone knows more about the process of rechoming aluminum alloy wheels or rechoming in general, let me know what you think of this situation. In order to put my car back into the condition that I know it was in before (and have pictures of) it would help if anyone could let me know about rechromed parts, especially the results and the longetivity of remanufactured chrome surfaces.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I personally have no experience with rechroming wheels, but I haven't heard that they peel after a year. I would think that they would stay chromed, because of the process that they use for chroming. They take off all the old material and clean it, then they dip it into a half dozen vats with chemicals in them to prep the surface. The chroming process is really nothing more than glorified electrolysis, since they're basically attracting molecules of a metal solution onto the surface of the metal wheel. I would think that the bonds would be strong and therefore, it wouldn't peel.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I don't know much about re-chromes, but if you end up looking for new SHO wheels, the '96s are the best chromes available. The process Ford used in '96 made that inner part of the spoke completely smooth and with the chrome, it was like a mirror finish. All the 97+ chromes I've seen have a slight roughness in that area. Conversely, don't get just a single '96 rim, because it will make your other rims look bad in comparison.

Better yet, get a set of the '99 SHO/SE rims--the lightest stock rims available. That'll get you a few more front wheel HP!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Aluminum has a low resistivity factor (something like 2x10^-8 Ohms/meter), so the chromium should adhere well. Maybe it's because AL rims are usually cast, and there are alot of pores that need ot be filled? I don't really know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts