Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i get a call at 2 in the morning so i am on the highway doing about 45 speed limits 55, so i am approaching my destination, and then my "Battery" light turns on and my car slows down, goes from 45 to 35 and just cruises til it completly turns off. Then i tried to start it back up and it doesnt go on, all i do is turn the key and all i get is a "Chee" sound....

got the car towed and it was in the street, so tryna push it back to the garage the person that was told to put the car in "NEUTRAL" didnt turn the key and just yanked the clutch and took it from park and put it in "Neutral"

ofcourse that didnt work and when we noticed somebody that knew what they was doing put it in neutral and then we started pushing when we noticed all the transmission fluid leaked out.

Now i hope this didnt ever happen to anybody, but does anybody know whats wrong, for the starting up part, every body keeps saying its my starter, and then for the yanking from park to neutral whats the deal wit that.

And if anybody got some estimates?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like the not starting and dying on the road part was either your alternator failing or the belt breaking. If so it'll run you like $100 +-

I hope that the guy who tried to put it in neutral says "your welcome" for having to make you fork out $700 for a tranny rebuild.

·
Registered
341 Posts
yah sounds like he busted yer tranny. as for the car dying, again, :withstupid: probably an alternator problem or a belt snapping.

make the %$#@% pay for your tranny. if he broke it, that is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
How does yanking the tranny selector handle break the tranny? I can see it busting the park interlock at the handle, but beyond that, it should just move the cable at the tranny from park to neutral, something you can do all day long as fast as you want with the motor off without hurting a thing. I'm interested in hearing where the leak occured, so please let us know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was like this after the moron yanked it from park to neutral wit the car off... my brother went and put it in neutral and then from there we was pushing, and then we were pushing it and then all of a sudden my brother said stop, and then we looked down and there was a 2 big fluid puddles, one where the car first was, and then 2 when we stopped and looked at the leak...

G

·
It's not leaking trans fluid due to that. And you need a new alternator, or belt. Come to think of it, if the belt broke, it could have damaged something in the trans cooling lines or something, maybe that's causing the leak?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even tho it wasnt leaking til the moron tried to put in neutral?

how much am i looking to pay for in repairs...?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Changing the tranny selector when the engine is off does not cause any gear changes in the transmission. All if does is modulate a valve that is free to move at any time, engine running or not. The only thing that stops the lever from moving is the interlock, and the gate bracket.

The interlock serves to blocks you from moving the lever (NOT the valve!) from park to any gear unless your foot is on the brake pedal. This is a safety feature only.

The gate bracket serves to force you to have to push the button on the lever to shift from forward to reverse, and from higher to lower gears. This is also a safety feature, preventing accidental movement of the lever due to shifting cargo or passengers, so you don't find yourself shifting into reverse when doing 80 mph on the highway, which would instantly grenade most of the driveline and present a possible dangerous driveability issue until you got stopped.

The only way he could have damaged the tranny by shifting into neutral is to rip the entire gear selector out of it's location (floor or column) and yank the cable sheath, breaking the valve at the tranny. Even then, I'd have to check to see if the valve is low enough that fluid will leak from it when damaged.

But we can talk about it all month long, or you can get under the car and find out where the leak is coming from. Until then, no one can give you any estimate or idea of what is going on with your car.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
As for the belt, did you hear anything, like a loud bang before the battery light came on? I had something similar (though nothing with the trans) happen on my old Topaz. I was doing like 65 on the GSP, and the automatic tensioner broke. All I heard was a loud bang, then my battery light came on, I had no power steering, and my car was idling badly. It was 11 pm, and I had been snowboarding all day, and since I was only 10 miles from my house, I just drove it home, which sucked, because I had to man-handle the car to get it to go around the exit ramps. The repair cost me about $250 or so...not sure about your trans though. I would tend to support Bob's idea of the belt snapping a trans cooler hose off. Just because it didn't leak while it was just sitting there doesn't mean it wasn't damaged. It could have been cracked, and when the car moved, it could have just shifted enough to let the trans fluid out...

Hey...what's up with everyone screwing up or crashing their Bulls??? This stuff seems to happen to everyone all at once.

JR

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It went pop before the battery light turned on yet, it was loud enough i heard it, and then from there it down shifted, the fluid is coming from the first pan when you look under the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts