Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start off a month ago i changed my cabin air filter with a brand new one. Well since the change, ive been getting a certain smell like oil burning though the vents when i have the fan or air on, any clues to this??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I guess oil is actually burning and timing of the smell with the filter change is coincidence. Just my best guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the filter installed up side down? The filter should have two small plastic rails on the sides that help it seat correctly. If is is installed us side down you may be getting unfiltered air from the engine compartment into the cabin. Just a guess...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dumbguy: no it is not and yes i am positive that the filter is seated correctly cause within a month i have checked 3 times to see if anything changed and the 'tabs' are up

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
you might of have the smell longer. the old cabin filter gets clogged up and filters smells better. i would look and see what is burning. take a look at the manifolds and see if there is any signs of oil leaking on them and burning off.
also parking on a good incline with a piece of cardboard under a cold car is a good way to check for small leaks on the back side of the engine that you might not be able to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
when was the last time you changed the oil? The only reason I ask is the oil filter on the 3.0L Vulcan is right by the exhaust manifold. If your oil filter is not tight or has a slight leak it will drip on the exhaust and cause an oil smell but will not leave an oil stain when parked. This happened to me, took me a few days to figure out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Dumbguy: that is a possibility as i am overdue on a oil change since i am about thousand miles over

1 - 8 of 8 Posts