Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few threads on putting an aftermarket receiver in a Gen 4 with Electronic Climate Controls, but nothing on what the results were.

I couldn't handle the converting over to manual HVAC controls, I was thinking more along the lines of mounting in a different place.

I saw someone comment on putting it down near the cubbyhole near the ashtray. Has anyone actually done this and are there any pics?

I have been contemplating mounting it from everywhere to the center console, to the glove compartment to under the steering wheel to even on the back of the fold down rear seat.

I don't know anthing about fiberglassing so I don't think I could handle that, but I could do a little cutting with a dremel or a jigsaw if I thought it would come out looking OK.

I was at a local car audio shop the other day picking up a small item and I mentioned it to them in passing and they had no ideas and had never done one before. I'd leave it up to a professional but I'd at least like to know they have done it before.

So anyone have any results or pics or ideas for a Gen 4?

Thanks,
Rich

Y

·
0 Posts
I also thought of the center console idea too, go with that, i'm sure it wouldn't be hard at all to run wires under the carpet! And dont even think of getting rid of the DIGI controls! Its a very weird issue because people that have it say they want to get rid of it and people that dont have it want it!

·
Registered
746 Posts
i have mine in my center console, but this is a pemporary solution. i removed the stock CD changer and added my HU in its place, and added an aftermarket CD changer in the glove box.

i plan on relocating the climate controls and stock radio controls and making room in the dash to house my HU. but that project is fairly far off.

and also, the HU in the center console is a pain in the ass. if you do put it there i highly recomend finding an IR repeater system to mount on your dash so you can use your remote for the HU.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking in my glovebox today for a way to rig up a head unit because I would like to keep it horizontal if possible.

I got an Eclipse 8443 off of Ebay for a good price. I'd like to try and see how it sounds as compared to my stock unit with the David Navone Line Out Converter.

If it doesn't sound much better, then at least I will know I am not missing out & I'll just sell it on Ebay & get my money back.

If it sounds a lot better & I can't live without it, then I'll have to find a way to make it work.

Eclipses have great remotes, but I'm guessing no remote will penetrate through the glove compartment door? So I'd have to drive around with it open or get a repeater like you mentioned?

As long as I could control the volume & change tracks I'd be happy. If I got a Cd Changer for the stock system, thats a pain in the ass to change while driving, so if its in the glove compartment or somewhere strange, it wouldn't be much different.

Hoss how come you want to move the climate controls down? What about just cutting off the bottom of the cubbyhole & removing the ashtray?

How does your receiver work vertically? Any trouble ejecting CDs?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
soon ill be attampting to fiberglass a radio into the pocket on a gen 4 with digital climate controls. Got the priece to do it, but just need some time.

Brad

·
Registered
51 Posts
Any chance you'll be doing this in the very near future? I'm gonna try try something on my own, but if installing it in the pocket works, it would deffinatly make things a lot easier.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I once took apart a gen4 radio (with cassette player and EATC).

It looked to me that it would not be too difficult to cut the radio part out and leave the EATC controls behind (and have them still work).

I was thinking of adding EATC to my car at the time. I also wanted to put and LCD in the dash, so I was going to move the EATC controls to the pocket above the ashtray. But you could leave the EATC where it's at, and fit a HU where the stock radio was.

I took some pics of the front circuit board and highlighted the important traces. If anyone wants these pics, or any other help doing this, let me know. The pics are pretty large though (Maybe 1.5MB each) and compressing them would remove neccesary detail. I think there are 4 pics, as highlighting too many traces on one pic is confusing.

If you live in SE Michigan, I'd be willing to let you test it out with my radio (so you don't have to risk your working stock radio to try this out).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts