Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have the tranny in D in the city, between 2, and 3rd, and sometimes in 3rd, it feels as though the transmission is stuttering. Almost as if it reallllly wants to shift, but can't yet. Other than that the tranny was rebuilt beautifully. Is the stutter a problem that will progress to a larger problem? Will synthetic aft, and a larger cooler remove the stutter? O, 3k on the rebuild
Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
When you experience this stuttering what is happening to your RPMs as shown on your tachometer?

I had a stuttering problem on my 04 sable wagon duratec when I was in 0D, the car would drop down into third and then upshift back into OD very quickly.

I changed the ATF fluid and filter, and put in some Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx.
Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx can be purchased at NAPA, it comes in a red tube.

I later found out what the real problem was when I changed the spark plugs. I had two coil on plugs (coilpack on your vehicle) that had cracks in them. Number 1 plug position against the firewall on passenger side and Number 4 plug position on drivers radiator side.

That is why I ask you the question what is happening to the rpms on the tachometer when you are experiencing this shudder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. The Rpms seem fine, BUT the transmission shifts incredibly easily into and out of overdrive unless I'm 3/4 throttle or something like that. I was going through the service records and I came across spark plug change with wires. Wires were motor craft, but plugs were regular platinum motor crafts. From what I've read should the rear 3 be double platinums? I'll check the coils, thanks a lot both of you.

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
If you have an ignition misfire, such as a faulty plug, wire or coil, you should have a check eng. light illuminated, solid or flashing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts