Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna rebuild them next time I have them off. Is it as straightforward as pulling the piston out or blowing it with compressed air? And what about the rears?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Back in the bad old days, brake rebuild kits ($5-10) consisted of rubber expander cups, bleeder valves and springs -- these were for drum brake cylinders. Some had replacement pistons as well.

I see that the Rock Auto caliper rebuild kits consist of the rubber parts only, seals, o-rings and the like (still less than $10 plus S&H).

Are your calipers unusual? If not, why not go with professionally rebuilt calipers? That way, you'd know the pistons have been fitted to cylinders that may or may not have been bored or at least honed. Remanufactured front calipers are ~$23 to $30 and change.

You'll almost certainly have to hone the cylinder walls unless you've bled the brakes every year. Conventional brake fluid (glycol based) absorbs water and water corrodes brake parts.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at getting them powdercoated, so I'd even have to take apart the reman calipers, might as well save some $ doing it. The calipers on there are still in good shape.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Take them apart.

Check the piston for wear.

Put them back together with a new soft kit.

It's easy.

If they get powder coated you need to make sure they don't get any of it in the cylinder

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (mwt @ Mar 22 2009, 08:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711303
Take them apart.

Check the piston for wear.

Put them back together with a new soft kit.

It's easy.

If they get powder coated you need to make sure they don't get any of it in the cylinder

Mike
B)[/b]
How do I take the rears apart?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts