Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Craigslsit ad:
1996 Ford Taurus SHO, 124,223 miles. Engine runs GREAT and has welded camshaft upgrade. transmission has less than 45k mi. Has SWEET sounding flowmaster exhaust, interior in great shape (leather). Comes with set of studded tires with less than a season of use. Has some body damage on r/f corner, undriveable due to bent tie rod. definitely fixable. You will not find a sho of this generation is such great shape! call with questions. If you dont know what a SHO is, dont bother ;)

---------------------------
I got it for 850 and the car seems to be in reasonably good shape, the body man said less than 1000 dollars to straighten the frame out. The front door is tucked over the back door and the fender is sauced but taurus doors of this vintage go for cheap around here...

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Since you are buying it for a project car, it's a nice find, but I have to laugh at the craigslist ad, "Has some body damage on r/f corner"

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
doesnt look too bad to fix. any damage to the rear quarter? i paid a grand for my sho... you got a better deal it looks like...

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankfully there's no rear quarter panel damage and the doors actually still open. :)For day 2 I noticed a few yesterday, the Intake air temp sensor hole is damaged, the JBL system does not work, no sound and it does not raise the antenna?? any thoughts?? I'm gonna guess the rcu is bad and thankfully I have a mach box laying around... oh and a vacuum reservoir sitting over the fender was also damaged...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Make sure the fuse didn't blow....IIRC they are all on the same circuit.

This looks like a fun project...and what a beast that would be for winter driving up there. Very cool!

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure the fuse didn't blow....IIRC they are all on the same circuit.

This looks like a fun project...and what a beast that would be for winter driving up there. Very cool!
Apparently the JBL doesn't work because the previous owner stole out the speakers!!!! **** ME :(

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Which JBL speakers are you missing? There's a couple of JBL cars @ the yard right now...

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought infinity reference 6x8's and a 6x9, However I need JBL tweets :(. The car is basically ready for some frame work... It actually doesn't look too bad. The door even opened and shut... If I was going cheap I could probably even just put a fender on it and shim it LOL :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
U want me to grab you some tweets at the yard? Not sure how shipping works to AK though...

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got it covered thanks tho, it's like the inner tie rod is bent and my mechanic says he has to drop the rack and pinion to replace, is this true?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
depends on how bent it is. the tool that you use to remove the inner tie rod nromally slides over the tie rod but if it is bent bad enough that can prevent the tool from working.

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
Someone on here rigged up some kind of crowsfoot or other external tool to remove the inner tie rod? Left the outer attached to inner while doing so. Not sure why. Might do a search.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
depends on how bent it is. the tool that you use to remove the inner tie rod nromally slides over the tie rod but if it is bent bad enough that can prevent the tool from working.
what if I cut the tierod with the cutting wheel right before the joint? Might that work?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
it could. all they should need to do is get the tool over the end attached to the rack in order to turn it off. unless the rack itself was damaged i see no reason to go through all that work just to remove an inner tie rod end...

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for your advice I found that tool and bent the tie rod back enough to put it in the sleeve...

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I got the frame straitened and since I know the manager at the local ford bodyshop he only charged me 300 to fix the frame and mount the door and fender... its almost ready for paint... I didnt think a sho would that much faster than my duratech but this thing gets up to speed pretty quickly...

I getting ready to change the trans oil and I could help but noticing that is does not have an extended oil pan, is my 96 supposed too?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The SHO AX4N has the same depth pan as all others, just a filter/pickup that sits deeper in the pan. Also, the JBL RCU has a sub woofer output on it to a powered sub that sits in the center of the rear deck. The system will sound VERY weak in the low end without the sub.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts