Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 sable. 3.0 vulcan has 100k + miles. starting to lose power.. i belive compression.. also tranny is goin slowly.. i want to do a rebuild because the overall body is in great shape.. so is interior..
now i need all of the help from you guys and gals.
if price were no issue. and you had motor and tranny out, what would you do to get the most hp and tq from the rebuild. probably be easier to make a list and include price estimates please.. also do the same for the tranny.
be creative.. remember money is no object..........................

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
If money were no object, I would hire a personal assistant to do a "search" for you..... ;)

On a serious note, id ditch the engine all together if money is no object. You could go duratec or get jason kings "RACING VULCAN ENGINE" lol

Ok, im being serious now...

Port and polish heads, new rings with overbore (.030) 3 angle valve job, (any more would be a waste). price...over a grand

Make sure you do a coolant bypass recall.

On the outlandish side, custom ground cam, forced induction, etc

Brad

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
S/C'ed 3.4 V8 from third gen SHO. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Keep it simple.

If you're going to rebuild, I would just punch the cylinders out to the next oversize, get forged internals (pricey) have the heads ported and flowed to handle other improvements. Get the exhaust completely redone and match it with a fresh tranny at the same time. I would also get a custom ground cam and new rockers/valves. Then you can improve your ignition and fuel delivery systems. A chip and internals work/exhaust in combination would work best. It would also be reliable because you didn't go crazy with the rebuild. I said to use forged internals because you can then add a small shot of nitrous later if you desire and will be much more confident in the engine being able to handle the extra kick. Overall a nice improvement in power. mpg may suffer a touch and you'll have a solid running car for another few years. When you get the tranny done, I would get any additional heavy duty internal changes that may be available or shift kit, etc to help it with the new load. They are the weakest link. Of course if you don't have one already, get a STB to improve the handling too.

Money no object?

For that I would build an engine cradle that allowed me to swap in a 302 (that's 5.0 for the Bob, lol). Pull off the exhaust to free up the tunnel, buy an aftermarket rear subframe, mount it with a Ford 9" rear, (mini-tubbing optional). To make the swap the battery and fuel tank both have to be relocated to the trunk. A 5-spd would be sweet but to keep it simple, just match the 5.0 with a C6 tranny and go. Upgrade the suspension up fron to deal with the additional weight/torque of the new motor. enjoy. (Was going to be my ROTB2 project before I got sent to Iraq). I've talked with several aftermarket chassis companies who said it would actually not be too hard on a Taurus because there is a fair amount of room underneath compared to some of the others they've done. There are pictures of the whole process on the web somewhere. It was a V8 conversion for the Contour or some other car smaller than the Taurus. (I forget which)
:chili:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Originally posted by Xmann01@Sep 17 2004, 01:08 AM
*Jack vehicle up and support with jackstands* *unbolt license plates* *bolt license plates to new vehicle*
ROFL!!!! :roflmao:

and doc were are thoughs pics b.c I have thought about that alot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts