Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a reasonable price to replace a transmission on a 98 SE taurus (3.0 duratec engine) With a used transmission, and whether it would just be smarter to replace it with a completly new one?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
We just went through this on Wes's '98 this summer.

A used tranny will run about $800. That's just a junk yard tranny, not a remanufactured or rebuilt. Then, unless you can do it yourself, there is labor for taking the old tranny out and putting the new tranny in. This takes a lot of time to expect it to cost a lot. We found it was going to be about $1200 to put a junk yard tranny in. It was about $2500 for a new OEM tranny and about $3200 for a jasper tranny. The Jasper trannies have all the TSB's handled plus they just all out build them better and you get a 3 yr / 75K warrenty. We went with the Jasper.

-Dan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Whats a reasonable price to replace a transmission on a 98 SE taurus (3.0 duratec engine) With a used transmission, and whether it would just be smarter to replace it with a completly new one?[/b]
Why not get your existing tranny rebuilt?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got mine rebuilt for $1255 or something like that here in Detroit. Way better than any junkyard tranny you' d find out there. So, I'd suggest callign around... rebuilt is the way to go in my book.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ender0Wiggin-
what kind of mileage do you have on your 98, and what is wrong with your tranny?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The transmissions Torque converted is gone ( or so i think, i get the flashing OD lite) Gf bottomed the taurus out and punctured the tranmission pan drainning the fluid and kept going for about 2 days till it was completly gone. They replaced the pan and refilled it with fluid and it worked for about 2 weeks. Now it just stalls out when i put it in drive or reverse unless i feather it with some gas. I think rebuilding the transmission wouldn't work because its been fried.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Aamco Transmission of Ypsilanti.

Its in michigan, and i can get you a pretty decent deal..

·
Registered
549 Posts
No offense to you Matthew if you work there or know people that do, but Aamco has a pretty bad reputation. Heard lots of horror stories about them and Cottman, despite their warranty. Now since it's a chain I'm sure there are probably exceptions (as in individual locations that are good), but I would not let them touch my car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I repaced 2 transmissions this year. The first was in a '92 vulcan(160,000) that cost me $200 from a private individual. Rock thru the oil pan on the donner car. The second was in a '93 essex(blew the head gasket yesterday at 107,000) because of a collapsed cooler. This one cost me $450 at a wrecking yard, but it had 20,000 on a rebuild with the documentation to prove it. I do all my own work which is good because the second one was a '92 going into a '93 so I had to modify the wiring where it entered the tranny instead of buying the ford adapter for $100.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts