Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry to hear that you did not get any help from Ford.

My local stealership has lost my business when they charged me 20% restocking fee on a part returned next day. I'm new to Ford and I thought that stealership was the only place to go for the Motorcraft parts. So, I purchased camshaft synchronizer from Ford for $255. Then on this wonderful forum I found out about Rock Auto. They're charging 50% less for the very same part, so I went and returned one I bought from stealership. First they try to tell me that electrical parts are not returnable. When I asked to show me any wires on it, they charged me 20% restocking fee. I have bought parts from them in the past and they gave me wrong fuel filter. When I took it back, they did not give me 20% for wasted time. Also, oil filters are $16 there. I got FOUR Motorcraft oil filters at Rock Auto for the same $16! So, even with me loosing $50 on restocking fee, I have saved $25 when I got same part + 4 filters + customs duty + s&h + exchange rate from my credit card company + tax.

As for springs and struts, I got lucky, as last owner has replaced them with aftermarket just prior to selling the car. I don't know what kind of recall work they do for springs in US, but in Canada Ford does not change the springs. All they do is install a shield that if your spring breaks, it will not cut the tire. And the shields could not be installed on my car, since I have aftermarket springs.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
$16/oil filter....I only paid like $4/each for mine when I bought them. Mind you I have contacts that I know. Even so regular price was $5 and something for filters. As to the re-stocking fee, most dealers have that. There's a sign right on the front of my parts counter here at KIA. It was the same thing when I worked for 2 separate GM dealers. If the part was a special order then I can see them charging the fee, but if it was something that was normal stock, then I'd argue it with them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
$16/oil filter....I only paid like $4/each for mine when I bought them. Mind you I have contacts that I know. Even so regular price was $5 and something for filters. As to the re-stocking fee, most dealers have that. There's a sign right on the front of my parts counter here at KIA. It was the same thing when I worked for 2 separate GM dealers. If the part was a special order then I can see them charging the fee, but if it was something that was normal stock, then I'd argue it with them.

They had it in stock, took whole 2 min to find it and bring it to me.

Edit: And today they had a nerve to call me with pre-recorded message to tell that my car was due for service! I never took it there for service and never will. I only took it there for the recall work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear that you did not get any help from Ford.

My local stealership has lost my business when they charged me 20% restocking fee on a part returned next day. I'm new to Ford and I thought that stealership was the only place to go for the Motorcraft parts. So, I purchased camshaft synchronizer from Ford for $255. Then on this wonderful forum I found out about Rock Auto. They're charging 50% less for the very same part, so I went and returned one I bought from stealership. First they try to tell me that electrical parts are not returnable. When I asked to show me any wires on it, they charged me 20% restocking fee. I have bought parts from them in the past and they gave me wrong fuel filter. When I took it back, they did not give me 20% for wasted time.

Standard deal at just about any dealership. We now have to pay 35% to return parts to the manufacturer, so they could have lost money on you.
One of our car lines only allows one annual return, so inventory can get ugly in a hurry if people come in to buy something, then just want to return it because they found it cheaper elsewhere. It saves everyone involved time and hassle to price shop before you buy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'm glad to see this thread still has legs. A few responders understand exactly why I started it, and others have missed the point.

I gave Ford the chance to help me out when I had a car issue while on vacation and they chose not to. They realized they had a flaw in manufacturing and issued a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty. Thats a pretty big flaw. Mine happend to break at 102,000 miles and 10 years + 10 days.

I was very cordial when talking to Ford Corporate customer service. I got nothing in return. They even offered me the opportunity to speak to a CS manager but that was the big waste of time. I may not have been so upset had I not talked to the guy. He was an absolute ferry who spoke with a high pitched lisp if you get what I'm saying. He could of cared less about my specific issue, he was just payed to give me prepared statements about how sorry he was that I was dissapointed. The last thing I needed at that point, after spending countless hours on the phone with different dealerships and customer service representatives, was to get some prepared statement about dissapointment from a gay dude.

I have had almost 3 months to cool down from this and I am still upset about it. I'm not one to beg for free stuff, I don't think the world owes me anything, but I do believe that part of doing good business is going above and beyond for customers. I work for the airlines, and it is amazing what our airline does for repeat customers. They realize that a lot of their revenue comes from these customers and they fight hard to retain them as customers.

My family has purchased mostly Ford products for the last 3 generations. My great uncle owned a Ford dealership in northern Minnesota. Another uncle of mine got mad at one of his nephews for buying a Silverado, thats how die hard my family is. This small episode may have cost Ford my business, my parents business, and my wifes parents business. Some of you may have other opinions, but in reality the difference between a Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Honda, or Toyota isn't much. Something as small as a cool commercial is enough to sway thousands of people to a specific company. Bad customer service such as this is enough to drive me away.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I truly get the point of your post. Ford shunned you when your warranty claim was only ten days past the deadline, while Toyota installed a new transmission and gave me a rental car for over a week, all at no charge, when my drive train warranty was 7,055 miles past expiration.

I grew up in a Ford town, Louisville, with two assembly plants there, my sister married a guy who built cars at one of those plants (Fern Valley), I learned to drive in a 1970 Ford LTD, my first car was a '72 Gran Torino Sport, my dad bought nothing BUT Fords, and now I drive a Taurus. :usa: But I know that I can never expect the same level of warranty support from Ford that I received from Toyota. And more than angry, it makes me a little sad that a foreign company can and will provide better support than our own people.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
So you had to replace springs on your car at 100K miles. And because you're in rust country a lot of other front end parts needed removal and replacement. Yawn.

I had to put a new Ford transmission in my 97 only 2K miles after the extended warranty ran out because of a defective pump bearing (affected a lot of 96/97 taurus). $2500. Now THAT sucked. And Ford didn't extend any warranty or offer help. But what good does it do bitching about it now? Not much.

You learn your lessons and move on. You should learn that front drive cars are expensive to maintain in the snowbelt once front end parts start going bad. And you shouldnt take an older car to the dealership for repairs. Now you're better off for knowing, be happy. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know this is an old thread...but I love my Benz. Service folks are awesome and I get what I expect. I let a $50 part go...and it broke. Cost $800 with towing and service to replace. I feel your pain...and I hate Ford...but you can't completely blame them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So you had to replace springs on your car at 100K miles. And because you're in rust country a lot of other front end parts needed removal and replacement. Yawn.

I had to put a new Ford transmission in my 97 only 2K miles after the extended warranty ran out because of a defective pump bearing (affected a lot of 96/97 taurus). $2500. Now THAT sucked. And Ford didn't extend any warranty or offer help. But what good does it do bitching about it now? Not much.

You learn your lessons and move on. You should learn that front drive cars are expensive to maintain in the snowbelt once front end parts start going bad. And you shouldnt take an older car to the dealership for repairs. Now you're better off for knowing, be happy. :rolleyes2:
Had to respond to you because you didn't get it.

I never take my cars into dealerships for service. This was a rare case because I thought they would do the right thing and do the job for me under warranty. When the informed me they wouldn't I called several dealerships in the area to no avail.

I didn't pay full price for Ford Shocks and Struts. I personally picked up Monroe Quick Struts and delivered them to the dealership and therefore didn't overpay for parts, just inflated labor prices. When they told me they wouldn't do the work for free I thought about picking up the car and saying no thanks but it was a Friday and I was driving home (1000+ miles away) the next day. At that point I was out of options. Then on top of that they claimed the ball joints were rusted on solid and would need to be cut off. Those ball joint were replaced a year before that. Just a lazy mechanic is my opinion. I even tried to tell the guy that struts could be done without touching the ball joints but he wasn't interested in doing it that way because his Ford Manual didn't say to do it that way.

I learned years ago never to take anything to a dealership. My grandmother was once charged $85 because her "tire light" was on. They put some air in it, turned the light off, and charged her 85 bucks. Thats robbery.

·
Registered
173 Posts

I never take my cars into dealerships for service. This was a rare case because I thought they would do the right thing and do the job for me under warranty. When the informed me they wouldn't I called several dealerships in the area to no avail.

I didn't pay full price for Ford Shocks and Struts. I personally picked up Monroe Quick Struts and delivered them to the dealership and therefore didn't overpay for parts, just inflated labor prices. When they told me they wouldn't do the work for free I thought about picking up the car and saying no thanks but it was a Friday and I was driving home (1000+ miles away) the next day. At that point I was out of options. Then on top of that they claimed the ball joints were rusted on solid and would need to be cut off. Those ball joint were replaced a year before that. Just a lazy mechanic is my opinion. I even tried to tell the guy that struts could be done without touching the ball joints but he wasn't interested in doing it that way because his Ford Manual didn't say to do it that way.

I learned years ago never to take anything to a dealership. My grandmother was once charged $85 because her "tire light" was on. They put some air in it, turned the light off, and charged her 85 bucks. Thats robbery.
I wouldn't say reason not to by from FORD...more like don't go to a ford dealership? I am sure other dealerships rip off their customers because you know it is that type of brand and should cost more? Sounds like the case similar to clothing from American Eagle, or Target clothes. Target clothes don't have holes while American is does, neither is better though...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

ROFL, so you wanted to bring in non-Ford parts, and instruct the tech to install them in a non-Ford approved method, AND you wanted it covered free under an expired warranty? :lol2:!!! Please don't ever represent yourself in court. Just stop digging, dude.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
ROFL, so you wanted to bring in non-Ford parts, and instruct the tech to install them in a non-Ford approved method, AND you wanted it covered free under an expired warranty? :lol2:!!! Please don't ever represent yourself in court. Just stop digging, dude.
The non ford parts came after I was assured not to receive anything under warranty. Their price to use Ford Springs and Struts was outrageous and I saved a lot of money by hand delivering my own parts.

Please stop being a Ford appologist.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not every dealership is bad. I'm quite happy with mine up here. Not having a lift, when things have to be done in a hurry sometimes bring them cars to work on. They also have no problem working with aftermarket parts as long as you provide everything needed. Don't bring half of what you need and expect them to get the rest, they don't like that too much.

Try another dealership before saying ford sucks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You should have stayed away from the Stealership when getting those struts replaced. The only things that I go to the dealer for are: Motorcraft parts that I can't find anywhere else, door clips, and transmission work. Any other repair just isn't worth it because they always assume that they know more than you and say "screw you, and by the way here's the bill."

In short, buy Ford but stay away from the dealership except for some parts and transmission work.
They are also a good source for those teflon ring sealers for the PS pump! Sorry I've come so late to this thread.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've owned a Ford since 1990 (20 years). I've paid through the nose for any work or parts from their Dealerships! I don't know if it's the same situation with other Brands, ie GM, Toyota etc. Dealerships only stay financially afloat from their revenue from service and parts, not from sales of new vehicles. However it infuriates the customer to pay ridiculous "book rates" for general repairs at $100 an hour or more and hyper-inflated prices for ordinary parts. A small 'Shop' can undercut them but you need to personally have a good relationship with them. I've never had any beefs with the quality of work from a Stealership but they all play safe to their own advantage. Motorcraft parts are generally good, but bend over Rover (Jimi Hendrix).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Oh, I forgot----Jimi Hendrix was a wild guitar player (Blues and Psychodelic) from the '70's. One of his lyrics or line in a song was "Bend over Rover and let Jimi take over".

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I'm going to have to chime in on this issue, as I believe both parties are at fault.

Ford shouldn't have produce a defective part to begin with. However, they did have a recall to correct problem. Like most everything now days recalls have limits or when they expire. The concept "time is of the essence" plays key in this situation. The original owner may have gotten a notice about this - not sure.

And given you are not original owner this delay of not receiving the right information at the right time is unfortunate. However, this probably happens a lot in the used car industry and is the nature of the beast.

In my situation when my car got too bouncy and the rear started sagging I knew there was something wrong. I see a lot and I mean a lot of 3rd and 4rth generation Taurus / Sables with saggy rear ends. Anyway, with my Sable having 100K+ miles on it I knew it was out-of-warranty and paid a speed shop to install their best spring / strut combination (rear). I paid for it in full.

My 1997 Sable is one of the BEST cars I've ever owned. I'm approaching 200K miles with it and it keeps running. I'm thinking this may be a 300K mile engine. My Duratec engine is very robust and reliable.

As long as Ford keeps developing and producing the Duratec engine, I'll always be a buyer. :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Two things have driven me from Ford. #1 is rust. As far as the Taurus it's the transmissions AND the rust.
Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of the "Ford Rust", nor the AX4 series ATX, but in general I don't think it makes Ford any worse than anything else. I'd rather have the body rust out and motor still work than the other way around. Sadly, body rust is what killed my Taurus.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts