Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2004 SEL, the autodim mirror has a bit of vibration that isnt noticible all the time...mostly when going 75 down the freeway and I go to change lanes and the vehicles behind me are fuzzy (if I simply touch the mirror the its gone, and it isn't so bad that I cannot tell whats behind me, just bugs me is all). I have checked the mounts and all is tight, except for the where it actually goes into the body of the mirror - there is a little side to side motion.
Does anyone have any tips for tightening this thing up? I couldn't find any tightening screws of any kind back there.
Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Those Gentex mirrors do vibrate pretty easily. I ended up snapping the face plate off mine, removing the mirror glass, and tightening up a bolt inside that holds the arm to the actual mirror assembly. Then put it all back together and it was better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those Gentex mirrors do vibrate pretty easily. I ended up snapping the face plate off mine, removing the mirror glass, and tightening up a bolt inside that holds the arm to the actual mirror assembly. Then put it all back together and it was better.
I hope there is another way because the face plate was vibrating too and I superglued it.....which fixed that.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
:lol:

Well since it is all plastic, thats sort of the clamshell/snap together method Ford used. No other way to get inside the mirror.

You could also try to shimmy like a broken up toothpick between the mirror slide channel and the mirror mount (that is adhered to the windshield). The mirror snaps on to the windshield.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Not to sound too obnoxious here, but you could also try reducing the vibration through the car as a whole. If you haven't had the tires road force balanced, you could see if that doesn't help. Beyond that, you just have to do what has been suggested above.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to sound too obnoxious here, but you could also try reducing the vibration through the car as a whole. If you haven't had the tires road force balanced, you could see if that doesn't help. Beyond that, you just have to do what has been suggested above.
That's a good idea.....I'm pretty anal about r&r on my tires but have never had the road force balancing done. May have to try it.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
That's what I was thinking as soon as I read the post title, before even opening it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts