Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the purpose of the tension strut rod? Does this provide constant up/down tension on the spindle? One side of my rear is about 1/2" lower then the other. I attempted the rear strut mod, with almost new struts, and the rear of the car is not even side to side. I noticed that when I took the struts out of the spindles and pushed down on the spindles themselves, the side that is lower was very easy to move up and down, where as the side that is higher has much more up and down tension on it. I am wondering if I bent the strut rod while lowering the spindle on the strut? Of if the bushings are just shot on that side?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
It is just there as an attachment point to stabilize the knuckle. As you can see it has quite a bit of movement. If at the knuckle where it is attached is bent this will affect the rear alignment and is almost impossible to see.

Make sure the bushings are in good shape.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Paul, I came across a post you entered at V8SHO.COM on 10/24/04 titled "Bent Rear Tension Strut?" I have an issue with excessive wear on the inner right rear tire on a 2003 SES Sport. During a trip to an alignment shop, I was told that the rear tires could not be aligned. The technician could not see any obvious damage other than the right rear tension strut looked slightly bent, but the recommended repair was the replacement of the RR strut and spindle. Shouldn't the tension strut be replaced also if it is slightly bent, or does this have no effect on the alignment?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I don't know how they could tell the tension strut is bent. The knuckle where it attaches though is easy to bend and will cause you to never get it in alignment. The tension strut is kind of loose and without the spindle will flop around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts