Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 wagon. I can't seem to get a rear windsheild washer pump that lasts over a year. The front is the original which came with the car and works fine. I only use genuine Ford pumps. All have siezed up. The last one was installed in February and is now inoperable. I use winter grade windshield washer fluid in the winter and live in Georgia where the winters aren't too cold.

Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong or is this just a weak point? I use the front washer about 20 times more oftem that the rear. In other words I don't use the rear washer much. Could that be a problem?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Is it the pump that's seizing up or is there a split/snapped wire in the wiring harness that goes between the hatch and the body causing an intermittent connection?

Never heard anyone complain of rear wiper issues...

BTW, nice to see some diesel 80s Benzes are still out there!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best I can tell the wiring for the pump does not go through the hatch at all. Everytime I have replace the pump, the old one has been siezed. I'm baffled as to why they would sieze, especially since they haven't have water in them. At worst, they had 32 deg F windshield washer fluid in them. I realize that the front pump has the advantage of being close to the engine for warmth, but can figure a reason why these rear pumps fail so often.

We actually have a third Mercedes Diesel in the family. My younger son has a 1984 300D with 254,000 miles on it. They just keep running and running.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sheila, that's a thought. All of the ones which have been failing were made in Switzerland!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts