Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone , I'm working on my 16 taurus sel (got from an auction). The real splash shield was broken , I got a new one from the dealership but didnt notice it has two metal rivets. I've never replaced splash shield with metal rivets like this. Anyone know of any special tools to remove it ? I tried drilling but its not working out so well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever figure it out? I need to replace mine as well. Before I attempt to drill it out I was curious what you did. Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I was removing mine I ended up cutting the shield with wire-cutters, along about 7 o'clock on that picture, then just forcing the shield out over the metal collar (worked but wasn't a snap by any stretch). It messed up the hole a bit but not so bad that it was no longer usable but and putting it back on was definitely worse then yanking it out. I don't think you can drill those things out because the rivet will just spin with the bit. Some quality Ford engineering there - why not a plastic plug like everywhere else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was worried about it spinning when I drilled it so you answered that question for me. I gotta laugh because I was thinking the same as you, Why have a rivet here when all the rest are plastic push pins??? Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it. Take care!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts