Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this should be in the repair tread or here but i have a squeaking noise coming from the rear passenger side of my 2003. It has drum brakes in the back and I thought i just needed to change the shoes. When I got the drum off I could see that the shoes did not need replacing and the drums were in good condition. After cleaning and adjusting the rear breaks I put it back together and took it for a test drive. The brakes work fine but the squeaking noise is still there. I don't know what else to look for. What could the squeaking be and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Need more info.

When does it squeal, when the brakes are applied? Or all the time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I makes one squeaking noise when I am going slow not pushing the brakes and a higher pitch squeaking when i push on the breaks. The squeaking it makes when I am not pushing on the breaks is not constant it pulses with the speed that I am going.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
easy test for the hub bearing.... spray some white lituim grease in it and drive it... noise goes away thats your problem... noise stays... then you need to clean out the lithum and repack the bearings... did you check and see if the drum was warped?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a whinning noise coming from the rear when The car is in motion....ben that way for years, so I'm thinking it is the wheel bearing. So how big is this job?

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Wacky, remove the drum, end cap, 35mm retaining nut and then the hub/bearing assy. With a new nut (not included with hub/bearing assy.), retorque to 188-254 ft. lbs. Easy peasy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts