Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my friend about his 94 mustang, and he said that the rear wheel air intakes are real, and they actually feed into the brakes for cooling.....so..i got to thinking... ...hmmm?..could you do that on a taurus by putting the ducts behind the door, and above the wheel?? i dunno? What do you guys think?? yes, no? cool, lame? good idea, bad waist of time?? etc...

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
You don't have as much space back there on a 4 door as you do on a coupe. You also need to route the air from the vent to blow across the rotor, not just the surface of the tire. Of course you also have to decide weather or not it's worth it to you. Remember in our vehicles, it's the front breaks that give you most of the stopping power. If you did it just right, it might look pretty aggressive though, huh?

-Dan

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Well if your rear brakes are overheating I would consider this a worthwhile adventure. Otherwise it is just for looks.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
well, if you have rear drums, they aren't doing much stopping anyway. The front's do all the work. Spend the money on a good set of cross-drilled or slotted/dimpled rotors, and good ceramic pads. That'll make a huge difference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know that my slicers will cool the rear disc brakes just fine, but the look is the primary reason, how many taurii have that kind of a mod done to them...to my knowledge...none...BUT, the problem is..if i dont like it...well i am S.O.L..b/c there is no going back...not to mention..what if its done poorly, and just makes the car look like crap....you know?? But i would look sweet if done well...real sweet!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Unless you are road racing your car there really is little need for this in the rear. If you have the rear bias plugs installed and then are racing there is a need to provide more cooling. I have run ducts to the front brakes.

An easier thing to do is remove the pie tins. This will allow more air to get to the rotor. And with a solid rotor, vs a vented rotor, there really is little more you can do to help matters. Otherwise it is strictly an aesthetic mod which means you can just glue on some scoops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts