Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been talked about I could not find anything on this but my rear toe is out of alignment on drivers rear and control arms and shocks were all replaced the alignment guy seemed clueless to what’s causing it as am I. Any suggestions? The car is 2001 mercury sable ls premium
Font Urban design Rectangle Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
478 Posts
Everything replaced at once
Gotcha, I just realized the the alignment was performed at a chain store, hmmmm.

I'm going to advocate for you to find a local independent shop with a really good reputation. Stop in with the alignment sheet and ask them if they would be willing to take a shot at aligning the rear into spec, or finding the cause and repair for proper specs.
They may just recommend an adjustment kit as previously mentioned above, or to try aligning it again before the kit was selected as the best solution.

Either way, the quality of alignment work there would be far better than at the chain store.

Just as curiosity, did you replace the arms or did the tire shop? Just curious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha, I just realized the the alignment was performed at a chain store, hmmmm.

I'm going to advocate for you to find a local independent shop with a really good reputation. Stop in with the alignment sheet and ask them if they would be willing to take a shot at aligning the rear into spec, or finding the cause and repair for proper specs.
They may just recommend an adjustment kit as previously mentioned above, or to try aligning it again before the kit was selected as the best solution.

Either way, the quality of alignment work there would be far better than at the chain store.

Just as curiosity, did you replace the arms or did the tire shop? Just curious.
I replaced everything and this is second shop to do it almost everyone said to take it here because they use laser leveling

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well that's interesting info about the shops out there.. Drastically different than in my area with almost every busy indy shop using a lazer alignment rack there. The chain tire shops here are usually the worst place to take your car for almost any repairs, let alone alignments..

So just some more curiosity with your issue.. How was the rear alignment before the parts were replaced, if even known?
The car was aligned twice, were the toe specs the same for that side at both places, or did they differ at all?

I'm not even going to try and think of anymore possible causes, it just is I guess.

Looks like as lisfin advised FAR above, your best course of action would be to have an alignment kit installed and adjusted again to specs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I guess no one’s familiar with rear alignment problems with these cars I read a bunch more in this forum and seems most go to adjustable control arms which I can not find

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
So I guess no one’s familiar with rear alignment problems with these cars I read a bunch more in this forum and seems most go to adjustable control arms which I can not find
I never had an alignment issue in the rear other than camber which is fixed by replacing worn and weak springs that cause sagging. I don't think you can buy adjustable arms but there are camber kits that if you just adjust one it should deal with toe in. I attached a video but the important part of this is the shiny new adjustment bolts that let you get more adjustment than factory. I believe they have them for at the knuckle also for even more adjustment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never had an alignment issue in the rear other than camber which is fixed by replacing worn and weak springs that cause sagging. I don't think you can buy adjustable arms but there are camber kits that if you just adjust one it should deal with toe in. I attached a video but the important part of this is the shiny new adjustment bolts that let you get more adjustment than factory. I believe they have them for at the knuckle also for even more adjustment.

you used to be able to buy them it’s all over this forum I even found part numbers but seems they are no more. Don’t understand why he put the adjustment kit on rear control arms shouldnt you replace the stock or is it best to do it on the rear?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts