Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the J/Y today and picked up a half decent rear sway bar. I believe it was off of a 97 GL, and spent half the day prepping the bar and the brackets for paint. Wire brush, sand paper, POR ready metal prep, then I hit it with 5 coats of Rustoleum. The bar and brackets are drying through the night. I just got back from the auto parts store, and ordered both Moog rear endlinks and sway bar bushings, the bushings will be in tommorow.
My question is, what do I need to lube, if anything? Would you lube the inside of the bracket, where the bushing sits,(outer circumfrence of bushing)? How about the hole of the bushing, ( where the bar slides through), does that need any type of lube, such as white lith grease, or, possibly anti seize? The bar and brackets ended up costing me $13, and the auto parts store price matched Rock Auto,s prices on my parts, ($42). I also found out the hard way, that the Gen IV sway bar was diffrent, as the first bar I pulled at the yard today was off an 02 Taurus. Oh well, still a great day anyway... And my car should even have its rear sway bar installed tommorow.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The Gen IV bar will fit, though you can't replace the bushings without grinding the brackets off.

Anyway, if you bought TPR bushings, you don't need to lube anything. You might want to put some white lithium grease on the inside of the bushing, just to help them slide on the bar a bit easier, but other than that TPR is meant to be non-greased. I do believe the Mood bushings are TPR.

JR

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Since it sounds like you have a late '99 with no factory sway bar and you have original struts - make sure your struts have provisions to mount the endlinks. I'm not sure that '99s are the same, but on late G4s without factory sway bars, you have to replace the struts to add a sway bar.

Just something to be aware of, but again, I'm not sure it applies to late-build '99s like it does to late G4s.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since it sounds like you have a late '99 with no factory sway bar and you have original struts - make sure your struts have provisions to mount the endlinks. I'm not sure that '99s are the same, but on late G4s without factory sway bars, you have to replace the struts to add a sway bar.

Just something to be aware of, but again, I'm not sure it applies to late-build '99s like it does to late G4s.
[/b]
Actually early 99 (Jan 99 build date). You are correct, no factory sway bar, nor did the original struts have the tabs for the endlinks. I just did all 4 corners with quick struts this summer, so that solved that dilemma.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Did you get it from Vinces U Pullit? I scored a GII SHO swaybar from there. Last time I was there (August) there were 2 SHOs that had swaybars .... must be they crushed the cars by now.

Guess it's time for me to make a trip and see what else they have now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts