Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to the forum and was reading a post that had mentioned something about gen 3 and 4 struts being interchangable and also saw that the gen 3 is supposed to be stiffer, atleast i saw someone say that about the front. well my questions start off with, is this true with the rear as well? the reason i ask is that my rear struts are worn and i wanted to replace them with stiffer and possibly longer ones to if at all possible as i constently have stuff in the trunk or am hauling people around and quite often hauling stuff on my trailer that i haul with my taurus. so i could benefit from stiffer struts in the back as i use my taurus as a truck as i cant afford both a car and a truck and every time i look at the car from the side i cant help but get disgusted with the design flaw of the taurus (you know what im talking about, yeah how it looks like you're smuggling a couple kilo's of crack in your trunk cuz of how the rear tires are almost stuffed up behind the wheelwell even without anything in the trunk or backseat). would struts off of a completely different vehicle work that would be both stiffer and an inch or so longer?so any suggestions? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Springs dictate the ride height and hold up the car. Shocks control the rate of the spring's movement. The whole assembly is the strut.

Get a set of Monroe QuickStruts (they have the spring and strut as one unit). They will give it about an inch more height and the spring's firmness will be between G3 and G4 firmness.

If you want to get G3 springs, then there's a pinned topic in the suspension forum to tell which springs you want.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Quickstruts would take a bout 45-60 minutes to install, but you may need to remove the back seats.

While doing the struts, look at other suspension components; i.e. end links to see if they need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I find the rear struts harder, take lonnger to do than the fronts.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jun 6 2009, 01:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730503
Quickstruts would take a bout 45-60 minutes to install, but you may need to remove the back seats.[/b]
You will need to remove the rear seats on '96-'07 models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 5 2009, 12:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730278
Springs dictate the ride height and hold up the car. Shocks control the rate of the spring's movement. The whole assembly is the strut.

Get a set of Monroe QuickStruts (they have the spring and strut as one unit). They will give it about an inch more height and the spring's firmness will be between G3 and G4 firmness.

If you want to get G3 springs, then there's a pinned topic in the suspension forum to tell which springs you want.[/b]
just wondering if u mean id get an inch of ride hight from the monroe quick struts because the spring is longer or stiffer or if u meant id see the differance just because id be going from worn struts to new ones, oh and is there any actual options as far as getting some stiffer springs in the back that u or anyone else knows of because my realy light boat and trailer seem to like making my car scrape the ground when i tow them, and would putting station wagon struts or springs on be an option and be any better if they would work if they arent the same thing. thanks everyone for your help

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The only real otpion you have for springs is the Monroe Quick struts or Moog Springs. No one offers taller springs.

If you are sagging the new springs will help a lot. I would go with those and see where you are at. From there I would suggest spring spacers to keep your rear end up or moving the strut up in the knuckle.

It seems though your springs are worn and need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (redranger16510 @ Jun 6 2009, 08:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730692

If you want to get G3 springs, then there's a pinned topic in the suspension forum to tell which springs you want.[/b]
just wondering if u mean id get an inch of ride hight from the monroe quick struts because the spring is longer or stiffer or if u meant id see the differance just because id be going from worn struts to new ones, oh and is there any actual options as far as getting some stiffer springs in the back that u or anyone else knows of because my realy light boat and trailer seem to like making my car scrape the ground when i tow them, and would putting station wagon struts or springs on be an option and be any better if they would work if they arent the same thing. thanks everyone for your help
[/b][/quote]

Yes the QuickStruts will give you about an inch of ride height.

I've heard the Moog cargo springs will help the rear end sagging much more than the QuickStruts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 7 2009, 11:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730872

[/b][/quote]

I've heard the Moog cargo springs will help the rear end sagging much more than the QuickStruts.
[/b][/quote]
saweeeeeet!!! do you or anyone else know of a part# or weblink or something that would lead me directly down the yellow brick road that ends in front of the moog carg springs that will work on my taurus. ive tried searching for a lil bit now and all i can come up with moog's regular constant rate for my taurus and also found the cargo springs for the first or second gen taurus but not for third or fourth gen.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jun 7 2009, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730872

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Its the previous set of struts were completely thrashed, it can liff up the car even more. I think I gained like 3 inches.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The Quickstruts put the rear end back where it should be. It holds weight in the trunk a lot better than stock too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts