Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are quite common the fail by leaky struts but even more so cracked off coil springs which if broken off like this one and the spring settled it digs into the tire sidewall and causes a high speed blow out, very dangerous we have seen it before. Even if you don't plan on doing this job yourself it is a good idea to inspect yours for breakage as shown in the video. Following my procedure makes the job quite simple even on a rusted car if you follow the tricks I have learned over the years.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Great video. I need to do this to my mom's 06 taurus. When everyone is in the car, the rear saggs terribly bad. I can do it only thing is I am worried about tht bolt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Man, am I glad I live in sunny Southern California where I don't have to deal with that kind of corrosion.

It is just great to watch a pro like you in action. Your style and thoroughness showing all the steps is greatly appreciated. When issues arise, you don't edit them out like others do, you just deal with it.

I especially like the jacking tip to clear the stab bolts. Not sure that I would have figured that out on my own.

How do you determine where to set the knuckle on the strut when putting it back together? Do you just bottom it out to the shoulder and tighten?

Thanks for the great video.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, am I glad I live in sunny Southern California where I don't have to deal with that kind of corrosion.

It is just great to watch a pro like you in action. Your style and thoroughness showing all the steps is greatly appreciated. When issues arise, you don't edit them out like others do, you just deal with it.

I especially like the jacking tip to clear the stab bolts. Not sure that I would have figured that out on my own.

How do you determine where to set the knuckle on the strut when putting it back together? Do you just bottom it out to the shoulder and tighten?

Thanks for the great video.
Thanks for the kind words! The strut has a bracket on the back that the bolt passes through you can't miss it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks, I got that part down pat. It was where to position the "male" strut end into the "female" bracket. Vertically, since you can tighten the bracket along the length of the strut end. Or do you just ram it home till it bottoms out.

Thanks for the kind words! The strut has a bracket on the back that the bolt passes through you can't miss it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I got that part down pat. It was where to position the "male" strut end into the "female" bracket. Vertically, since you can tighten the bracket along the length of the strut end. Or do you just ram it home till it bottoms out.
Yeah the stut will move up and down in the knuckle but the strut has a eyelet where the bolt goes through and that will position it correctly for you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I missed the eyelet in the video. It is there at about 9:00 minutes. Did not know that's what I was looking for, but now it makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Yeah the stut will move up and down in the knuckle but the strut has a eyelet where the bolt goes through and that will position it correctly for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of the best repair videos I've seen in awhile! ;) Thanks for posting it.

Before taking my car for state inspection I look over the car, check the brakes, lights, etc and as luck would have it, I find a rear broken spring. :(

It didn't look like a big job but you never know. The video really helped and saved a lot of time trying to figure things out as you go. Not sure if I would have figured out jacking up the control arm to remove the stabilizer link or not. That was a great tip! ;)

I found some -really- inexpensive strut assemblies made by Unity Automotive and they seemed real nice. Figured I'd take a chance as I didn't have much to lose besides my labor.

Everything is installed and passed inspection!

Thanks again.

Rod

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the best repair videos I've in awhile! ;) Thanks for posting it.

Before taking my car for state inspection I look over the car, check the brakes, lights, etc and as luck would have it, I find a rear broken spring. :(

It didn't look like a big job but you never know. The video really helped and saved a lot of time trying to figure things out as you go. Not sure if I would have figured out jacking up the control arm to remove the stabilizer link or not. That was a great tip! ;)

I found some -really- inexpensive strut assemblies made by Unity Automotive and they seemed real nice. Figured I'd take a chance as I didn't have much to lose besides my labor.

Everything is installed and passed inspection!

Thanks again.

Rod
Aw man that is great to hear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.