Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this winter - I had a strut spring break, sliced a tire - it was great...

I replaced both sides with new quick struts I think the term is. I also installed new end link bushings. Money was very tight - my control arm bushings looked pretty good. So - I reused those.

I torqued the top nuts inside the car as the instructions said to. I've always felt like it wasn't enough. I'm starting to get this vibration going down the interstate above 60 - if I turn slightly right or left - I feel vibration in the rear.

I was able to get my pinch bolts out and re-use them. It feels like something is loose. I discovered this tonight - so, I couldn't see much.

Any ideas or suggestions on where to look? It all really should be new back there.

You guys are fantastic. You help so much. ;)

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
start with the simple...... lug nuts tight? then bearings. did you torque the nut down with the car on the ground? sometimes it get hung up while installing and after you drop the car it frees up and becomes loose.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the lug nuts with it on the lift, then dropped it. Are there traditional wheel bearings back there? I didn't think so.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i was kinda vague... did you torque the strut while it was under load? the spindle ( hub ) has a bearing. if you jack up the rear and do a shake down test ( 12 and 6 oclock then 3 and 9 oclock ) it might narrow down the issue. there should be no movement.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was kinda vague... did you torque the strut while it was under load? the spindle ( hub ) has a bearing. if you jack up the rear and do a shake down test ( 12 and 6 oclock then 3 and 9 oclock ) it might narrow down the issue. there should be no movement.
As I recall, I did. I think the instructions said to torque the top nuts with the car on the ground.

At a parking lot last night - I pushed side to side on the right rear wheel - it felt loose when I pushed hard. So, if I jack it up - push on the wheel and tire and it feels loose - probably a spindle bearing?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
possible. or bushing. are you hearing a hum while driving out of the rear?
Pretty much a bad vibration if I turn slightly right or left at speeds over 60 on the interstate. I mostly drive in town and don't notice it in slower driving.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anybody know what the upper nuts are supposed to be torqued to inside the car on the struts?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lug nuts are tight. I jacked up each side - shook the wheel/tire. There may be an ever so slight amount of play - but, just barely, barely, barely.

My gut tells me the nuts on the struts are loose possibly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
22-29 ft-lbs.
I was thinking the instructions said 34 - but, it may have been in the 20's. I spoke with one mechanic that said do it more than the instructions - but, you know how "mechanics" are...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, not right after. However, I got two new front tires early in the summer and had it lined up. They said it wasn't out far at all.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i would check all 4 corners. if you have grease fittings lube them ( will help tighten up the front end ) if all 4 corners are good then i would think its a tire balance issue. i have my tires balanced ever 7 thousand miles. last time was off on one a big 1.25 ounces.

which struts did you change? all 4?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just the back two. The front two are original - but, I checked the springs and saw no signs of potential breakage like the rear. I guess it *could* be a balance issue. A smooth ride going straight and turning the wheel makes me think not.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well - checked the strut nuts. I went on and took them to an even 30 if 29 is max. About a half a turn on each stud. I wouldn't think that would change anything or create any alignment issues. Still doing it. Maybe it is indeed a bad tire.... not sure.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
did you have a 4 wheel alignment after the strut change or just rear or front?
Always do a 4 wheel. Had it done when I got the new tires at the local Ford store. $45 was a good deal.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
more then likely the tire is good. if the top is tight ( strut ) how about the bottom? normally when a bearing starts to go it sounds like its humming.
i wonder if its the rear trying to hold the road with the new struts and the front trying to roll and take the rear with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts