Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to get my old 98 running, i broke off the rear strut pinch bolt. It was
a bitch to get the knuckle off, then a afternoon of cussing with a friend with a
Mig welder to get the broken bolt out.

So i got the bolt out finally with threads intact in the knuckle. Now i needed
a pinch bolt. Should be no problem right? WRONG!

Went down to the Bermuda triangle to pick one up.
(corner has a autozone, orileys, advance).
Either there dumb as rocks or cannot come up with the part.
I found a old monore AK number on line but it seems to be discontinued

The lady at orielys suggested hardware store, so i went to old school hardware store
and found a generic grade 8 12mm 1.75 x50mm. It was not a shouldered bolt, but
i could make it work. It was a little over a buck.

Then i happened to go by a menards. Low and behold, they had EXACTLY what i needed.
in there "handi-Packs" part number #88293. 12mm x 50mm metric flange bolt course

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/fasteners-fastener-accessories/bolts/flange-bolts/midwest-fastener-reg-12mm-1-75-x-50mm-class-10-9-hex-flange-bolt-1-count/88293/p-1444440206953-c-8737.htm

Might save someone some time finding one. If the dealer even had one im sure it would be over $20.

bob

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
I just paid 85 cents at Rural King for banging out my front bearing hub. They sell them by the pound. Saving the threads are not that important because you can thru bolt it and use a locking nut. You can use a SAE bolt once you drill out any remaining threads

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Few days ago, young mechanic told me he got a broken pinch bolt out of the rear of a Taurus. Drilled out the shank till the gap opened up a bit. Then used a jack to be sure the strut alignment tab was not binding on the bolt. Then welded a small nut on the pointed end of the threaded end and used a socket to spin the bolt out the clearance hole. New bolt in the existing undamaged threads. About one hour total time.

Just sharing.
-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts