Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to give the strut mod a shot, and I could not for the life of me get the rear of the car to be even on both sides. Let me explain what I did. But first, let me say that my springs/struts are less then 2 years old, I wasnt having any problems with sag or any other issues, just wanted to get the rear up slightly. My first attempt, I dropped both knuckles down off the struts an inch and 3/8s. Lo and behold the drivers side was approx 1/2" lower then the passenger side. I thought okay, since the drivers side always carries more weight then the passenger, that might make sense... heres where it gets wierd. I drop the drivers side only 1/8" and it seemed that didnt do much of anything to the side I was dropping, but it seemed that the passenger side was sitting a slight bit higher? I thought, that has got to be wrong. I decided to drop the drivers side an inch & 5/8, then an inch & 3/4. I pull out the yardstick again and all I pick up is approx 1/8" on the drivers side, but the passenger side has raised by at least a 1/2". At this point the drivers side strut is halfway down into the hole of the knuckle, and the passenger side is even with the bottom of the knuckles hole, and the passenger side is higher! I am like What am I on candid camera? Now I start wondering did a spring break for whatever reason? I couldn't find any break, but since I thought that it had to be something with that drivers side quick strut, I pulled them off and got them replaced the same day. I put the brand new quickstruts on and as I still want a bit of height I only put the struts into the knuckles hole so both of them are exactly even with the bottom of the hole (sit flush), I did not go down to where the pinch bolt would line up with its hole. As I didn't get a chance to measure it yet, but I can see in the passenger wheelwell that there is plenty of gap between top of tire and edge of wheelwell, and the drivers side looks to be much less. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I am doing all my measurements from ground to bottom edge of wheelwell. This problem wasn't there when I had my quickstruts dropped all the way down the knuckle and the pinchbolt installed thru the struts hole, the car was even as could be... Can anyone help me out?
Thanks
Tom

1 - 1 of 1 Posts