Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went today to my local ford dealer to get the oil changed and mulit point inspection. Anyways they told me i had a right rear strut leak. how soon should i get this taken care of and whats my best repair options. Parts wise my uncle has a shop so i was going to take it to him to work on it.

this is what ive found so far i just want to make sure before i start ordering parts im getting the right things.
info on the car 01 taurus sel 3.0L v6 DOHC motor roughly 111000 miles and i know since ive had the car ive never gotten shocks and struts worked on and i bought it at 70000 miles

Gabriel Ready Mount/Shock/Strut - Rear (G56936) | 2001 Ford Taurus 6 Cylinders S 3.0L EFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Went today to my local ford dealer to get the oil changed and mulit point inspection. Anyways they told me i had a right rear strut leak. how soon should i get this taken care of and whats my best repair options. Parts wise my uncle has a shop so i was going to take it to him to work on it.

this is what ive found so far i just want to make sure before i start ordering parts im getting the right things.
info on the car 01 taurus sel 3.0L v6 DOHC motor roughly 111000 miles and i know since ive had the car ive never gotten shocks and struts worked on and i bought it at 70000 miles

Gabriel Ready Mount/Shock/Strut - Rear (G56936) | 2001 Ford Taurus 6 Cylinders S 3.0L EFI DOHC | AutoZone.com
I would do my own check. Dealers service will tell you anything. There is "moisture" and then there is a "leak". It is a judgement call.

It is not uncommon to see a slight oily area around the shaft seal but still have pressure and oil in the sturt. On the other hand, if the oil has run down the outside of the housing, then it IS leaking and the seal and pressure is lost or will be quickly.

Just my op.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,829 Posts
^^^^ +1

Dealer doesnt make much, if any $$, on a LOF. They make their money on upsells based on "problems" (which often arent really problems) they find in the multipoint inspection.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Then again, at ten years old I wouldn't be surprised if the rear springs are sagging, in which case it's not a bad idea to replace the entire quickstrut assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts