Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! I'm changing the rear struts on my '02 sedan according to the writeup at Strut/Spring Assembly Replacement - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

I have all the bolts and bushings off as the wiki says, but it's not clear to me how to separate the spindle from the strut. I have my block of wood and my BFH and I haven't hit it all that hard yet but I can't seem to easily get anything to budge.

Please see the photo and let me know if the jack stand being where it is is causing trouble, and, if so, where should it be?

And if the stand is OK where it is, what should I be wailing on with my hammer?

Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well now I'm stuck on the last "hard" part... the mounting nut that holds the upper mount to the strut seems to be basically rusted solid on one side. Only, it can't be rusted solid because the shop just had it apart 2 months ago. So... I'm guessing the a-holes overtorqued it. I got one side loose with a breaker bar but the other side is stuck so badly that that strut rod is turning along with the nut. I PB-Blastered the hell out of it a couple times but I don't have a day to let it sit there. Guess I'm going to see about renting an impact wrench. Oh well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts