Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be putting in new KYB Strut Plus fronts and Excel-g rear struts. Should I change the rear springs and mounts at the same time?
David

·
Registered
240 Posts
I will be putting in new KYB Strut Plus fronts and Excel-g rear struts. Should I change the rear springs and mounts at the same time?
David
I realize this is an older post, but no one responded to you. I'd recommend spring changes if they appeared cracked. I just found my driver side rear spring broken in my 13 Taurus SEL. See the pic. I need to inspect my right side spring closer. At a quick glance, I didn't see it cracked, but I'm thinking it may be too, because I have some noise over trashy roads/bumps and it seems to be coming from the right side. I just can't believe that springs of this diameter would just break like that. Of course, in Ohio we get the lovely winter road salt, but should I be experiencing broken rear springs?!? Anyone else experience this in their later model Taurus?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,270 Posts
I thought the broken spring syndrome was limited to the G1 thru G4 Tauri. I guess I was wrong. Rear spring broke on my 05 SEL Premuim Tec when it was only 5 years old and took out the tire. Fortunately it broke about 200 feet from my driveway so I inched it home. Put in KYB rear struts (and a new set of rear tires) and the springs have been fine since the KYBs went in. FYI, I live in the heart of the rust belt.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks, Jeff. It seems the 5th/6th Gen has this problem too. I know this road salt in the snow belt is detrimental to a lot of components, but I wouldn't have thought it would do anything more than surface rusting/pitting on springs, given their diameter. It amazes me it can literally form a crack that splits the coil. Is this really normal, or could something else be causing this? Maybe the quality of manufacturing. I'm not real familiar with spring manufacturing, but I'd think they run a round bar (billet) through heat and they coil it. These aren't cast are they? I wouldn't think a coil would be poured to a cast mold, but if so, porosity could be a concern...

·
Super Moderator
8,270 Posts
Springs are wound, not cast. My guess is Ford used an alloy that is susceptible to corrosion, and it is possible the crystal grain structure isnt optimal, leading to increased corrosion and crack formation. When I pulled my strut with the broken spring 10 years ago, I noticed the spring was painted, and the paint was partly peeling off near the break. Much of the paint on the spring had cracks and was loose..... perfect conditions to trap and hold salt laden water to accelerate corrosion.

Oddly enough the springs (original) on my 32 year old 88 Turbo Coupe (274K miles) and 34 year old 86 Tbird 5.0 (140K miles) just have a very very light coating of surface rust and road dirt on them, and I dont believe they were painted from the factory. The Tbirds are not driven much during the winter, especially on days when the roads are covered in wet salty snow.

I am a member of several FOX platform Tbird (83 thru 88) sites, and I cant recall anyone ever complaining about broken springs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thank you, Jeff. I agree it must have been cheap alloy used then. I think it's totally unacceptable for a 7 year old car (even in the snow belt) to have springs corrode/break. I'm not sure it would be worth it, but if enough of us have had this problem, perhaps we write into Ford. I'm lucky the spring didn't break further up toward the top or middle... That would have been a rude awakening.

·
Super Moderator
8,270 Posts
Yup!! when the spring broke on my 05 SEL Tec, it broke near the top and the sharp end of the broken spring took out the tire. Heard a very loud POP when the spring broke, followed very quickly by a BANG as it punctured the tire and let all the air out of the tire in under a second. Quite scary!

Forgot to mention one of the rear springs on the 95 Vulcan beater is broken about a 1/4 coil from the bottom. The break doesnt affect the ride height, and only makes a little "clunk" noise going over really large abrupt bumps, like poorly maintained railroad tracks. I have no plans to fix it unless it breaks again in another location. The 95 is in really good condition for a 25 year old car, but probably worth a few hundred bucks, if that. Did have to replace the radiator in the 95 a few weeks ago ($60 from RA) but I cant complain...... the original radiator lasted thru 25 salty winters. AC in the 95 still blows ice cold, and I have never had any 134a to it. Great car that will likely succumb to tin worm within the next 10 years.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow, that would be extremely frightening! I'm glad you didn't get hurt. The springs in the front strut assemblies are still good. I bought strut/spring assemblies from LKQ with only 27k miles and installed them a couple months back, so those are good. I couldn't imagine having a front spring break while driving. Hopefully, I'll never experience that. You've done exceptionally well with your cars! Getting 25 years out of a car without major repairs is quite amazing, especially in the snow belt!

·
Super Moderator
8,270 Posts
^^^^ Thats pretty much what mine looked like when it broke.

·
Registered
23,012 Posts
When 1 of mine went at 70mph on the highway, it sounded like a 12ga. shotgun, lol! Luckily, no tire shredded. My son wasn't as lucky, his rr gouged the inner sidewall. Both times it happened on different gen3 '98 Sable LS tecs???

·
Registered
240 Posts
That’s crazy. How are the rear ones gouging tires? Are the previous gens a macpherson strut design for the rears? Where the springs sit in the gen 6, I doubt it would gouge a tire unless it failed in glorious fashion and threw a piece at a tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts