1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
200 Posts
The wagon has a different suspension than the sedan.
Wagon has a separate shock and a separate spring. The inside of the spring is empty and can accomodate the air bag. I know because I installed these air bags on my wagon.

The sedan has a mcpherson strut in the rear with the rear spring an integral part of it. There is no room for an air bag on the inside of the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh very true. For some reason I was thinking the rears for the same as the front, which I know is incorrect. Well then.... hmm. My springs arn't saggy but they just cant handle the extra added weight plus 2+ passengers. Is there a stiffer spring with a higher load rating than the stock springs? Id be happy with an extra 1" tbh. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My shocks and struts and coils are all healthy. Being that the Mogg coils are progressive and 194lbs compared to the stock 100lbs springs.. that seems to be a good idea. Would they mount up to the stock struts without a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah thats fine. Its just that my 300+lbs of speaker weight take a **** on them stock coils lol. Thanks for the info m8.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nothing special is required. You just use gen3/4 struts and mounts with moog cargo coils for a gen 2. There's a few people that have done this on here.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just found this. Very interested in pics and vids of this installation. Theres a wall in my future. So it would be good to keep in mind.

Yep, but if you do a wall, the wieght should be in the center/rear of the car anyway not all on the rear axle. Hints my problem bottoming out with 3 passangers lol. 2 subs that weight 50 each, a battery that weights 78, and ap that weights 25 and a 150-200lbs box.. lol yeah it adds up.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yep, but if you do a wall, the wieght should be in the center/rear of the car anyway not all on the rear axle. Hints my problem bottoming out with 3 passangers lol. 2 subs that weight 50 each, a battery that weights 78, and ap that weights 25 and a 150-200lbs box.. lol yeah it adds up.
Forgetting the 4 78 pound batteries in the trunk are we? :0 Right over the axle. I use birch for my boxes. Single layered with double baffles. And lots of fiberglass resin and mat, and bracing. My last 2 12's box, double layered, glassed etc. Was light enough to pick up with 1 hand. When your subs weigh more than your box. You know your doing it right!

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used some cheapo 3/4 ply wood, wood putty'd then resin'd the inside. **** is just bulky lol. I want to remake the box using ultralight mdf. :) UL MDF is just as strong as standard mdf but 80% lighter, cuz its a different type of saw dust. I can carry a 4 x 8 sheet of it with 1 arm comfortably.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I used some cheapo 3/4 ply wood, wood putty'd then resin'd the inside. **** is just bulky lol. I want to remake the box using ultralight mdf. :) UL MDF is just as strong as standard mdf but 80% lighter, cuz its a different type of saw dust. I can carry a 4 x 8 sheet of it with 1 arm comfortably.
Win ^

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just performed the CC859 upgrade on my SHO. It lifted the rear nearly 2 full inches. Driving it now is a definite improvement.
The hardest part of the job was removing the upper retaining nut, as there was a lot of corrosion holding it on. Applied some nickel anti-seize during reassembly, hopefully I don't have to go back in there for a while now!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is maybe a dumb question.... what side of the spring goes up? Does the smaller spaced coils need to set at the base or the top? OH YEAH and when I read the wiki how to...... my setup isnt anywhere close to whats in the wiki page. my Gen IV doesn't have rear endlink in the rear. It doesnt even have a spot to mount them, pretty weird. Is that a Gen 4 vs Gen 4.5 change?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The tightly wrapped side goes up. I haven't seen the wiki, personally, so I can't comment. I have my taurus up in the air right now, I will take pics of the suspension setup and give you a detailed description of what order to do it all.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got this all done on Monday. It was pretty easy really, especially since I work at a ford dealership haha. On my Lunch break I used our wall mounted spring compressor and fabbed it all up. While I was at it I replaced the rear struts with Monroe Matic rear struts. Man, its like a brand new car now. Ride quality has greatly increased. rides very smooth. I used to have to be very careful on dips and rail road tracks and what not. But I tested them out on Tuesday and I drop 75mph over the same tracks I usually have to slow down to 45 on. I ended up spending $140 on the set of Monroe Matic struts and $70 on the Moog Cargo Coils. SO a total of $210, All around money well spent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts