1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
SHO Source sells those for the G1/2...I'm not sure if the rear control arm box is the same on all years, though.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It isn't. I'd beware of a one-size-fits-all treatment.

With that said, the H-braces are a great idea. I wish Sho Source would make them for the Gen III/IV cars. The control arm box is stamped steel, and hitting it the wrong way with a floor jack can bend the crap out of it.

JR

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I think the G3 rear control arm box is quite sturdy compared to the G1-2. I jack the car up there all the time and have not had any problems. Don't think you need a brace for the G3 and later.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Paul, I actually bent the box on my Sable, but my Taurus hasn't had that happen. I wonder if Ford put some sort of a plate behind the stamped steel to give it a bit more rigidity...

JR

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The G3/4 design is different than then G1/2 design, and the G3/4 design is much stiffer. There has been a discussion about this before, and I have posted pictures of the G3/4 rear control box before with dimensions.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
When I first started working on my Sable, I put the floor jack under the control arm box, but didn't have it aligned properly. The floor jack slipped after I had it a few pumps up (wheels still on the ground), and the back portion of it bent upwards just a bit. It wasn't anything serious...nothing that could have screwed up the alignment, but the sheet steel that it was stamped from just bent a little.

I don't know if it was operator error, stupidity, or material defect that caused the problem, though.

JR

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
so is it certain that the hbrace box will not fit on the gen3 cars. I know they dont need them but will it fit?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts