Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Taurus wagon with DISC brakes and I need to replace the REAR hub bearings is this easy or hard- will this just be replacing a sealed bearing assy or will I need to press on the new bearings.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The parking brake cable might be in the way, but you can get around it.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
The main bolt holding te hub on may be strange looking like the attached pics. The are one time use supposedly available from Ford at $14 each. They are called PACNUTS and are made of beveled threaded washers held in a cage to supply constant torque preload as the bearing wears.

Hardest part is getting the brake caliper bracket off, in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I know somebody that, when it needed to remove a packnut like that, it took a chiesel and "open it", then tried to unscrew one by one the washers.

Yep, that's single use only.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
I know somebody that, when it needed to remove a packnut like that, it took a chiesel and "open it", then tried to unscrew one by one the washers.

Yep, that's single use only.

It is removed just like a normal nut with a normal socket. I did see a post that someone disassembled the nut, which was not necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes it certainly looks easy and thanks for the info on the pacnut - I bought a chiltons repair manual-and in the manual it has a torque for rear hub/bearing retainer nut for wagon at 190-255 ft-lbs does this sound right ? and dose it got to be a pacnut - at O`Reillys thay sell a regular looking nut-not a pacnut-will this work. thanks

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The "locking" can be done in another way. I am not sure what Dorman did for that...
I have used Raybestos and they have a couple of small crimps on the end of the thread - those edges get plastically deformed when torqued and provide locking:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone replaced REAR hub/bearing assy on 2003 Taurus wagon- need to know what torque you torqued the hub nuts- Chilton says 190-255 ft-lbs- also what size socket do I need to remove the pacnuts - I will be replacing the pacnuts with dorman- thanks

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
On my 2006 with drums the Ford torque specs was 221ft-ft-lbs.
That's rich! Like any of the torque tools have the capability to measure at 0.5% precision! Because that's what an exact 221 value would imply.
A good, new tool has 3-4%.
We are lucky of we get 10% on regular tools that where used and abused...

Reactions: james27613

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Friends I know what the torque is 190-255 ft-lbs what I am trying to find out is what torque you have torqued them too if you have replaced 2003 REAR hub/rearing assy with DISC brakes- to me 190 to 255 is a very large gape- have you torqued them at 190,200,210,220,230,240, or 255 thank for all your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts