Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see slight differences in the rear of Mercury Sables between 2000 and 2005, mainly with the middle brake light. Are all the rear glasses the same? I think the defroster may be a little different as well.

My rear window is completely shattered and I need a replacement. My Uncle can get me the rear glass for $560, or I can get one from the Junk Yard for $50. Problem is the junk yards don't pull the rear glass for you only the front.

The junk yard closest to me will let me pull it myself, but will charge me first in case I break it I will have already bought it. The other junk yard has it as well and you pull everything yourself and they won't watch you so if I broke it, I could try another. That one is about 45 minutes from me.

I will be bringing a cold knife knife that professionals use to cut the butyl seal. I just want to make sure that will do it and that I don't need a hot knife. On my Sable it looks like it is just the softer butyl, but there is a possibility it could be covering the rock hard urethane that requires the hot knife to remove.

Any help and further instruction is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I think you're going to have a hell of a time getting it out, and I doubt you'll be able to without braking it.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't see the glass coming out in one piece.

JR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think I would need the hot knife? I took a look and looks like I can cut all the butyl from the inside. I can use the suction cups for an even removal once that is cut. I can bring the hot knife and generator if need be. But if it is just butyl, I'd prefer not to as it is my uncle's and it is like $1000 tool.

No comprehensive insurance?
[/b]

No comp. I used to live in the city and full coverage was double the cost where liability is already triple the county. Since I've moved I haven't felt the need to have it as it is still high cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow that is a great document. Thanks! I think I will go to the place further away and try it out. I guess that kind of confirms it is the softer adhesive and not the rock hard stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Good luck with your venture.
Hopefully you'll have some friends with you to help out !! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts