Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past week, I've had to drive through solidly thick fog to and from work several times. I've always wanted a rear fog light, but this experience has really got me thinking seriously.

I would also like to get one for any winter snow storms I will inevitably driving through this winter.

The idea that I've sort of settled on is to buy one of those license plate frames with the brake light mounted on to it. I wouldn't wire it as a brake light, rather just as a light I could have on solid. What I'm thinking of doing, is feeding power from the tail light running lights and then running the ground to the cabin and having the ground switched. That way, the light would only be operational when the tail lights are.

My big problem is finding the actual plate brake lamp and this is where I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me... If anyone has any experience with these lights or could recommend one, I'd appreciate it. The ones on ebay seem mostly from Hong Kong and I don't want to buy some piece of junk, nor do I want to buy something with a light on it that is basically no brighter than the tail lights on my car.

If anyone has another other ideas for a rear fog, that's cool too!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Ok, problem with your logic. In order for a rear fog light to be effective, it needs to be aimed and have a cutoff so that it lights up the road and obstacles, not the fog itself. This means your light needs to be some type of actual fog light or small headlight.

You also don't want it constantly on, this is illegal, and a nuisance to other drivers. You need it to either be switched or to come on with your reverse lights.

While it would be a fair amount of work, if you were to get a single halogen fog light, you could install it into your bumper and make it look nice and clean and stock. You would probably only need one if it was aimed properly. As far as wiring it, I would go the reverse light method. The reverse lights were not meant to carry that much current, so you will need to run a fused line to the back and use a relay to turn it on.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wire in a 7-pole trailer plug and get a Light Buster:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Rear fogs are supposed to be bright RED lights designed to warn drivers following of the obstacle (your car) in front of them. They should be wired to the tail light circuit so they are on at the same time.

Essentially, rear fogs are brake light equivalent in brightness and added to the rear fascia in some manner. Many Euro spec cars have them factory.

A regular fog or driving (white) light wired to the reverse lamps would only help you see what you're about to back into. No help driving forward.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My Audi has one. It has a switch on the dash, and can only be on with the headlights, and in the Run position on the ignition. It's about the intensity of Brake lights. You can see it relative to the running lights in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys...

Ok, problem with your logic. In order for a rear fog light to be effective, it needs to be aimed and have a cutoff so that it lights up the road and obstacles, not the fog itself. This means your light needs to be some type of actual fog light or small headlight.

You also don't want it constantly on, this is illegal, and a nuisance to other drivers. You need it to either be switched or to come on with your reverse lights.

While it would be a fair amount of work, if you were to get a single halogen fog light, you could install it into your bumper and make it look nice and clean and stock. You would probably only need one if it was aimed properly. As far as wiring it, I would go the reverse light method. The reverse lights were not meant to carry that much current, so you will need to run a fused line to the back and use a relay to turn it on.
I don't think you really understand what a rear fog light is... A rear fog is a red light on the back of a car that is brighter than a typical tail light so that vehicles behind you can see you better during low visibility situations...

As I said, I would have a switched ground so that it would only be on when I want it to be...

Wire in a 7-pole trailer plug and get a Light Buster:

Same problem here... I want a bright red light so people can see me, not so that I can see behind me...

My Audi has one. It has a switch on the dash, and can only be on with the headlights, and in the Run position on the ignition. It's about the intensity of Brake lights. You can see it relative to the running lights in the picture.
Yes, this is more what I was getting at. Thanks for the pic.

This is more what I'm looking for, but I have a feeling it's not going to be brighter than my OEM tail lights...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/License-Plate-Fr...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51962b7b46

·
Registered
374 Posts
Very cute...
So you don't want something practical and inexpensive, because from what I suggested could accomplish exactly every parameter you set out to fulfill and cost you less than $40 without hacking anything up.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you don't want something practical and inexpensive, because from what I suggested could accomplish exactly every parameter you set out to fulfill and cost you less than $40 without hacking anything up.
What you suggested is putting a spotlight on the back of my car and painting it with model paint... Thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What you suggested is putting a spotlight on the back of my car and painting it with model paint... Thanks but no thanks.
Well I thought the whole point of your project was to give people behind you an extra visual warning as your tail lights were not enough to pierce through fog and/or snow. Thus my suggestion of a "spot light with some red paint". However it appears you want a Euro style rear fog, which isn't any brighter than stock tails, thus still sticking you right back where you are at right now. So I am stuck wondering is this a functional upgrade as you seemed to start out with when you asked for suggestions, or is this just an aesthetical upgrade to make the Taurus look more like an Audi?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well I thought the whole point of your project was to give people behind you an extra visual warning as your tail lights were not enough to pierce through fog and/or snow. Thus my suggestion of a "spot light with some red paint". However it appears you want a Euro style rear fog, which isn't any brighter than stock tails, thus still sticking you right back where you are at right now. So I am stuck wondering is this a functional upgrade as you seemed to start out with when you asked for suggestions, or is this just an aesthetical upgrade to make the Taurus look more like an Audi?

Do you realize that a rear fog light is an indicator and not for lighting up the road for the guy behind you?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If european style rear fog lights aren't brighter than regular tail lamps, why do they exist??

·
Registered
374 Posts
If european style rear fog lights aren't brighter than regular tail lamps, why do they exist??
It's the law, from Wikipedia:

"In Europe and other countries adhering to ECE Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps" (or "fog taillamps"), which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be energised by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candelas,[15] which is within the range of a U.S. stop lamp.[5] For this reason, some European vehicles imported to the United States have their rear fog lamps wired as stop lamps, since their European-specification stop lamps may not be sufficiently intense to comply with U.S. regulations, and in North America rear fog lamps are not required equipment."

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's the law, from Wikipedia:

"In Europe and other countries adhering to ECE Regulation 48, vehicles must be equipped with one or two bright red "rear fog lamps" (or "fog taillamps"), which serve as high-intensity rear position lamps to be energised by the driver in conditions of poor visibility to enhance vehicle conspicuity from the rear. The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candelas,[15] which is within the range of a U.S. stop lamp.[5] For this reason, some European vehicles imported to the United States have their rear fog lamps wired as stop lamps, since their European-specification stop lamps may not be sufficiently intense to comply with U.S. regulations, and in North America rear fog lamps are not required equipment."
And as your own reference says "The allowable range of intensity for a rear fog lamp is 150 to 300 candelas,[15] which is within the range of a U.S. stop lamp."

You said they are no brighter than American tail lamps...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The facts are the facts. Use a FOG LAMP designed for this. The rear of the taurus has enough space for these to be mounted. I recommend the use of 2 of them placed as wide as possible so it will give people the ability to judge relative distance. Narrow placement or the use of 1 can still result in an accident, IMO.

KC sells a rear fog lamp designed for this, they are only available individually.

Amazon.com: KC HiLiTES 513 Red 2 x 6 Rear Fog Light: Automotive

Seems a little expensive.. but I value not getting slammed into at highway speeds.

I'm looking at doing something similar to my Mazda.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Please check these threads where there is some discussion about installing Euro-legal rear fog light to my wife's G4:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/116...wheels-tires/129536-rear-fog-lamp-choice.html
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-taurus-sable-general-discussion/133902-euro-taurus.html

Both of the threads have some images too which you may find useful. The car passed inspection in Finland with flying colors, all the modifications to the exterior lamps were accepted as is.

The idea of the rear fog is really to warn the people behind you if visibility is really poor and the normal tail lights would be hard to see from a distance. Also there is a general rule to position the rear fog away from the brake lamp to avoid confusion. That is why the rear fog is usually only on the driver's side and at least 4" away from the other rear lamps. If it is in the middle, it should be well below everything else, again to avoid mixing with the middle brake lamp. Cases where there are two rear fogs positioned symmetrically are extremely rare since danger of mixing them with brake lights is obvious.

Edit: BTW, the lamps I showed in the first thread cost from $15 to $30. The LED lamps are more expensive than the conventional one.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thanks for the links Finn, I remember your G4. Nice job :)

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.. I was out driving in the fog tonight and felt so naked.. in some places you could barely see in front of you.. and i was expecting someone to be speeding along and slam into me.

I'm thinking of modifying my retroreflectors on my rear bumper to be rear fogs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
in germany fog light obligation since 1990 . I built ones in back light.with a chromium-plated - red luminous bulb. Fog light is only so bright, because chrom reflecktor with is inserted.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not quite advanced enough to cut holes in my bumper, but thanks for the ideas...

I was thinking about modifying my existing taillamps...

Say if I ran a line to my trunk and tapped into the brake light wire on the driver's side brake light (on the G3 the brake lights are the inside light). Then, on a foggy night, I can feed the new line power and light up that individual brake light. I'd put a diode on the OEM wiring so none of this external power goes back to the car (who knows what might happen if I don't do this). That would be sufficient no? BTW: I have done the G3 brake light mod so all 4 of my tail lights are brake lights too now.. So I think people would know when I'm braking simply by the other 3 lights plus my high mount lighting up right?

I could also do this to the outer turn signal lights instead of the inside brake light. I'd tap a wire into the grounds on the turn signals, and when it's foggy, that would light them up bright. This is how the sidemarkers are wired on the G3/G2/G1 and I assume if I had them illuminated constant with my external power, when I activate the turn signals, the power being sent to the light would block the ground and thus the light would turn off in a blinking fashion.

Hopefully that makes sense?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.