Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
long time lurker, first time poster :p .

Recently I've been getting a strange noise coming from the rear end of my 97 GL. Pretty sure it's coming from the passenger side. The noise itself almost sounds like those speed strips (grooves in the road that gets a driver's attention), but it is not continuous. It happens for maybe a forth or a third of the wheel's rotation. There is also a slight vibration when the car gets above 45MPH

I think I've narrowed it down to two things, either the bearing/hub assembly is going bad or the brake pad is rubbing across a rough spot on the rotor.
I'm leaning more towards the brake because when it does happen if the brakes are applied the noise/vibration stops.

I figured I'd come here and ask the experts what they think before I go taking the rear end apart.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Might be a bad hose. They tend to get clogged where the metal clamp is on them and when you press on the brake, the fluid pressure does not get relived when you let up on the brake. A good way to tell is after some highway driving with light brake application get out and see if the wheel is hot. Should just be slightly warm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts