Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new to the forum. I just bought a 2007 Taurus SE, has about 93000 on the clock.

I was looking at the rear of the car and to my eyes, it just seems that the rear sits a bit low. I was wondering if I was to upload an image of it, if some better trained eyes could tell me if I am thinking right, or if its just a figment of my imagination.

I also have a bit of a clunk noise in the rear when going over moderate bumps. I have read somewhere that this noise and the rear end sag could be attributed to a broken spring.

Thanks again, the just would like to get all, if any issues worked out of this car while I still do have a warranty.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Generation 4 Tauruses (and Sables) have some of the weakest struts and springs to make them ride better. Based on mileage, you are due for some struts most likely. Where are you located? Would you like the ride to firm up a bit in the rear? Some cargo coil springs from a 92-95 Taurus/Sable with some new struts would really help the rear end out...and while you're at it, you can toss on a swaybar to tighten the rear end up :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Put up a picture with side views while the car is on a level surface, also post a measurement of the height from the top of the wheel arch to the pavement.

The clunk could simply be the upper strut mount, which isn't dangerous per se. If however, the spring is broken, (I believe) you run the risk of the spring puncturing the tire, which could be quite dangerous.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I finally got around to taking some pictures of both sides to determine my height. I will post back later with an actual measurement.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That looks like the normal sag from the weak springs these cars have.

If the rattle is rather harsh, sounds like it's coming from the rear parcel shelf (sounds like it's in the car like something hard tapping on the rear window) that would probably be a bad strut mount, you might get that replaced under warranty, but i doubt they'd do much of anything else.

If it's a duller rattle, it could be anything from an broken exhaust hanger to a bad sway-bar link.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yea 12/03 built and newer bulls lack a rear sway bar.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Independent rear w/o a sway bar.... blehhhh, no thanks, not for me.

Another thought I had: what about ice? I've had ice between the weather stripping and outer body below the rear window rattle around before. Maybe pop the trunk lid and take a peek.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My '07 was just starting to sag, so I replaced the struts/springs with KYB strut plus (pre-loaded with springs). I ordered them from tirerack.com. Since you live in the rust belt, you should also order new pinch bolts, as those are such a pain to remove on these cars, and even worse on rusted out cars in the north. Figure on about 2-4 hrs of work, if you DIY, the rusted pinch bolts will probably eat up half the time you spend on it, you will have to soak them in PB blaster for at least a few hrs before you try to remove them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took a look underneath, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Tomorrow the car is going back to the dealer, only having it for a week, and a few things are going to be fixed. The noise in the rear being one of them. Going to talk to the service manager and explain everything that I feel needs to be done to it.

I don't think they expected me to know all too much about automobiles. I think I threw him when I told him I wanted the cooling system pressure tested and a new fuel filter put in it. This was before I bought it of course.

Any rate, I'll let you guys know how it goes, warranty is a warranty, and if I have to take it back 100 times. Well they best know my expectations. Not that many things are wrong, just that I'm not a sucker.

The dealer was shocked when I informed them that I need a new lower right front ball joint. I was asked how I knew that. I told them that I was putting tires on the car and that I noticed a lot of play in the wheel. Then I was asked why I was putting tires on a car that had new all-seasons. I proceeded to explain that even if I have only 3 weeks of snow left, that I'd rather have some confidence with a new set of Blizzak's then chance it. Was also surprised to hear that I'm swinging a tire hammer, tire irons, and using my old friend the bubble balancer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I dropped my car off this morning at 9:30, and I just got back from them working on it. They put new quick struts in the rear, took care of that noise. They mentioned that the noise came from some rubber bushing, not sure if I completely understood them but some rubber piece on the strut mount plate. Then they said that the struts just didn't feel right so they decided to put all new in. Sits higher and rides SO much better than before. Very pleased. Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Nice that they covered the struts, the dealer I bought from would not replace them under warranty, at 56k my fronts were making noise from the mounts. Ford told me "too bad, they're a normal wear and tear item that is not covered by your warranty". I did read the fine print, and it did exclude struts. I'm just happy to be rid of the car, it was reliable for me, but at 116k, I was on borrowed time, and the tc was going out the last week I had it. I will never own a automatic trans again.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I just stumbled upon this slightly old thread...

Quickstruts under warranty? I doubt it, the dealer ate that repair, you can't use aftermarket parts under warranty, ford/motorcraft doesn't make quickstruts. The rubber part they're talking about is just the strut mount, just replaced mine this week. KaClunk is now gone. Used moog cargo springs for a 95, sensatracs, and moog mounts. I've got a rear sway bar to put in, got the links, don't have the bolts to mount to the body, had to special order from the dealer (weird thread pitch) for less than 3 bucks each I'm ok paying for the right ones. I'm very pleased with the setup so far, soooo quiet, better ride. A little pissed today, went to go assemble the fronts at the lincoln dealer I used to work at. I bought struts, springs, lower seat insulator, boot kit, mount bearing/plate... damn it I forgot the upper spring seat!!! Couple more weeks now until I get the fronts done. So aggravating I took everything out of the boxes got everything lined up, put the bearing plate on the spring...stopped...cocked head to the side and thought, this doesn't look right..shheeet...
Oh, when I did the rears, pulled out the old ones, looked at the left side where that clunk was coming from and that too looked fine, to the eye you just can't tell anything is wrong with mount. Looked in the wheel well and holy rust!! I wanted to take pics but I was at work and in a rush. Cleaned it up a bit then sprayed all the rusty spots with rustoleum rust reformer, let it cure a bit then covered the whole wheel well with undercoating. As I'm typing this I think I realized I already told this story under another thread... lol, whatever.

Happy Easter

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Whoa you used to work at a F L-M dealer? What happened if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Acually my first job turnin wrenches was at a Ford dealer's quick lane. When ford was closing a buttload of dealers a few years ago, they were on the chopping block, so I was laid off for a short bit from there. Then I went to the L/m dealer, I was there for almost 2 years before getting laid off again. There was no work, not enough hours to go around, so they needed to let someone go. Me and the service manager didn't get along, that and the fact I refused to continue taking the web courses and getting nothing back from it. I was pissed I wasn't making any money at work, then he expected me to go home and take the ford classes, with no possibility for a raise, or going to take a classroom course, or being reimbursed for my time in any way. So it was me they let go. Blessing in diguise, I soaked up unemployment as long as possible, spent a ton of time at the beach, just worked out of my driveway every once in a while, picked up a couple hobbies, it was a nice 62 weeks. That whole time I was trying to figure out what I can do with my life because I decided I hate working on cars for a living, a great hobby, horrible career. But I went back to it, work on land rovers now. They suck to work on, but the money is so much better. I've got close friends who still work and the L/M dealer, they're still pissed at life b/c the money aint there, same with a couple Ford dealer buddies. So, um, that's what happened. lol, maybe a bit more than you asked, but there ya go. Saturday night and I'm sitting here typing on a forum??? I just woke up from a nap, had a cup of coffee, about to go to the packy, pregame, head to the blarney stone in dorchester!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
So why go with 92-95 cargo springs? Do you mean springs for the wagon? My 99 that I am doing the 04+ vulcan swap on sits a little low in the rear. I was considering just using those cheap "lift block" things that fit between the coils. I think they might give me 1/2" or so, depending on if the stock springs are actually sagging. You can only get so much lift from a spring when you are using a strut. If it is still too low, one could make shims to go between the strut mount and the body on the rear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts