Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for awhile, if I hit the brakes pretty hard, I would get a clunk, but I didn't care because it was every once in awhile, and it didn't bother me much. However, just a couple of days ago, when I filled my tank up to about half-way, since gas has gotten so expensive, I can't afford to fill it all the way. However, after I did it I get a clunk pretty frequently, pretty loud, but also randomly. Sometimes if I hit a bump I'll hear a clunk coming from what seemingly is the trunk, or the rear driver side area. I took out the spare and everything from my trunk, drove it around for a little bit, and it was still there. Sometimes when I turn it clunks, sometimes, but not always when I hit a bump it clunks. however it doesn't seem to really do it under hard braking. So, I am not sure what it is that is causing this clunk, but it is quite annoying, and it only got bad just a couple days ago after I filled my tank, but the noise seems to be coming from the rear driver side...so, I have no idea what it is.....

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Did you put the gas cap on all the way? If it weren't on and fell off, it could be clunking around in between the filler spout and the fuel door...

JR

·
Registered
712 Posts
Shake the exhaust to see if it is hitting anything.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You may have a broken rear sway bar link. Take a look, it happened to me once in my '93. Also maybe rear strut mounts, not sure though. Make sure your gas tank is secure too, although that's probably not the problem, it's probably just the extra weight when the tank is full that exaggerates the problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check the exhaust, that I can do, but, I'm not quite sure where the rear swaybar link is located, and how do I check it? Its a very on and off noise, and if it is the Swaybar link, how bad is it to replace?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
easiest thing - go to Midas or somewher elike that. They will generaelly give a free diagnosis and estimate. But, of course, ask them to make sure before you have them check it out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also forgot to mention that this is my 1994 Green Ford Taurus GL. So, I'll see if its my exhaust hitting something, and try and find out how to check a rear end sway bar link.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Green cars had that problem, but the Red, and White, and Blue cars don't.
Most people with R,W, &Bl fill their gas tank regardless of the price of gas. Then they drive less. :D
Good Luck
Bill

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dad and I just took a look at it, and the rear left torsion bar link snapped, so thats what is making the noise, and causing the car to move around the road a litttle bit. So, now I just gotta go get one and put it on. I have a question in reguards to that though, is that also known as the rear sway bar link, because I've looked at Napa online and Ford Parts, and can't find any torsion bar or anything like that....

·
Registered
8 Posts
That should be the same thing. I replaced these on both sides. Should only be about $10 each(advance auto). Jack up the car and remove the tire. Unbolt and replace the bar. You will have to also unbolt one of the mounts to the sway bar itself. Put the tire back on and slowly lower the car back down. The weight of the car will assist in putting the sway bar back in position so you can bolt the mount again. This only took me about an hour the first time I did and was not hard to do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the help, I'm not sure when exactly we're going to do it, but my dad and I have talked about it, and we're probably going to replace both just so the other one doesn't decide to snap like a week afterwards. Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts