Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thats easy, sort of. By the 2000 Jaguar type-s and a gen 4 Taurus. They both have the same frame and the Durtec v-6 type-s has the rear wheel drive. It wouldn't be worth it but if you found a wreck type-s with a good drive train and suspension you might be able to swap it. Or swap the taurus body parts to the type-s frame. IF you got the cash you can fabricate just about anything. And remember rich people aren't crazy; they are excentric!!!! (rich-azz crazy)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by bco1206@Jan 29 2004, 02:07 PM
Thats easy, sort of. By the 2000 Jaguar type-s and a gen 4 Taurus. They both have the same frame and the Durtec v-6 type-s has the rear wheel drive. It wouldn't be worth it but if you found a wreck type-s with a good drive train and suspension you might be able to swap it. Or swap the taurus body parts to the type-s frame. IF you got the cash you can fabricate just about anything. And remember rich people aren't crazy; they are excentric!!!! (rich-azz crazy)
Sorry. The Taurus and the S-Type do not share frames. In fact, neither of them has a frame in the traditional sense. Both are unibody platforms. And they are quite different. The S-Type shares a common platform with the Lincoln LS and the T-Bird. The Taurus shares a common platform with the Sable. Swapping body parts between S-Type and Taurus is, in all practicality, impossible.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by Markus+Jan 29 2004, 04:13 PM-->QUOTE (Markus @ Jan 29 2004, 04:13 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-bco1206
@Jan 29 2004, 02:07 PM
Thats easy, sort of.  By the 2000 Jaguar type-s and a gen 4 Taurus.  They both have the same frame and the Durtec v-6 type-s has the rear wheel drive.  It wouldn't be worth it but if you found a wreck type-s with a good drive train and suspension you might be able to swap it. Or swap the taurus body parts to the type-s frame.  IF you got the cash you can fabricate just about anything.  And remember rich people aren't crazy; they are excentric!!!! (rich-azz crazy) 
Sorry. The Taurus and the S-Type do not share frames. In fact, neither of them has a frame in the traditional sense. Both are unibody platforms. And they are quite different. The S-Type shares a common platform with the Lincoln LS and the T-Bird. The Taurus shares a common platform with the Sable. Swapping body parts between S-Type and Taurus is, in all practicality, impossible.

Mark
95 SHO [/b]
well there go my dreams of ever making a rwd taurus. haha. j/k. If i wanted a rwd car, I would buy one. much less $$ than some whacky conversion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i just wondering!! i know it would require a lot of doe but it would be really cool to have the only rear drive taurus with a...4.0L maybe!!..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by mrcow32@Jan 29 2004, 01:09 PM
The fact of the matter is that you can do pretty much anything to a Taurus if you dump enough money into it, but my question is, would making a Taurus RWD really be worth all that cash? I don't know about you, but if I had that kind of money to blow on a Taurus, I'd rather spend it on something like a supercharger or a turbocharger, but that's just me I guess...
besides i dont think a turbo would fit cause the exhaust is too cramped and the oil filter is in the way of alot of things...the engine compartment is just too small to fit a turbocharger..mite be different for a supercharger. but that is just my opinion!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by silvapain@Jan 30 2004, 02:44 PM
It would be really hard to fit the 4.0L into the taurus engine bay. But yes, it would be cool.
but then a 3.8 fits!!!......weird...cause it isnt a whole lot bigger

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Well, my dream, if I ever strike it rich and get crazy loot, is to completely strip a 2000 Taurus and make it rear wheel drive. It would take a crap-load of money, but it def. could be done. You would have to change the entire rear frame mounts, the front suspension (which could potentially be taken off an 80s Mustang), the motor mounts, cooling system, move the battery to the trunk...etc, etc, etc.

My plan would be a 351 Cleveland or Windsor, with a Tremec tranny (although the linkages would be really, really hard to do), and a Ford 9" rear end, with 3.73 gears...I think the engine compartment would have enough room for a 351 if you got rid of the A/C and battery...

Just my crazy ideas...

JR

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Get some Torches, a welder, some sheet metal, and some cash and you can start.

First get some jackstands.

Remove the engine transmission, steering rack, struts, all wirring, radiator, windshield washer resovoir, exhaust,

Remove the gast tank, rear struts,

Get your torch, Cut the rear control arm mount out, cut the spare tire well out,

Weld Sheet metal over the hole in the floor of your trunk, get a new gas tank, mount it just in front of the rear end of the car, find an acceptable rear end that will fit properly, mount it in place of the rear control arm mount, fabricate brackets as neccessary to mount the rear struts.

Find and acceptable engine that will fit in the bay of the Taurus, buuild a new frame under the front end, weld it to the body and mount the engine. Then figure out where all the accessorories and wiring go.

Oh and now you have to build a complete custom steering and front end suspension.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Buy a used NASCAR or Winston Cup car..... rear drive Taurii do exist! (with mean V8's and a solid chassis)

It could be done, buy why bother. The Taurus is a good car, and maybe when it becomes a classic like the Biscaynes, Nomads, and '40 Mercs it will be a cool car to HotRod.

Give me about 20 years and I'll do it!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@Jan 31 2004, 12:23 AM
Get some Torches, a welder, some sheet metal, and some cash and you can start.

First get some jackstands.

Remove  the engine transmission, steering rack, struts, all wirring, radiator, windshield washer resovoir, exhaust,

Remove the gast tank, rear struts,

Get your torch, Cut the rear control arm mount out, cut the spare tire well out,

Weld Sheet metal over the hole in the floor of your trunk, get a new gas tank, mount it  just in front of the rear end of the car, find an acceptable rear end that will fit properly, mount it in place of the rear control arm mount, fabricate brackets as neccessary to mount the rear struts.

Find and acceptable engine that will fit in the bay of the Taurus, buuild a new frame under the front end, weld it to the body and mount the engine. Then figure out where all the accessorories and wiring go.

Oh and now you have to build a complete custom steering and front end suspension.

Good Luck
im sure you could get alot of the steering components and rear end from a ranger or a aerostar...!

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Well considering that the you probably have a custom frame under the engine might make using some parts difficult. You could make it work I guess if you have the time.

Oh and you have to put the radiator back in too. lol but if you have a bigger engine you'll need to figure out how to mound a larger rad too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if i use a 3.8 from a cougar(rear drive) then i can use its rad....but i dont think there is any difference between the 3.0 rad and the 3.8 rad...i have a double core so proper cooling it not an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
You mean you are going to go through all thiis cutting and fabrication and still use a 3.8 ? Then the project is definitely not worth it a all.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
RWD loses a lot when convertintg fro FWD... It'd make better sense to conver to AWD, but that has its disadvantages, too...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the easiest thing would be to use a 90's T-Bird or Cougar as a donor car.
Just cut the whole floor, suspension, drivetrain, subframe, steering, engine, basicaly cut the whole body off from the floor up and add a taurus body.

Just something off the top of my head!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@Jan 31 2004, 01:57 AM
You mean you are going to go through all thiis cutting and fabrication and still use a 3.8 ? Then the project is definitely not worth it a all.
it was just an example

D

·
0 Posts
I've called several custom chassis places and they are of the general consensus it can be done, they actually said the Taurus had more room to work with than some of the other conversions they'd seen. Still not a project anyone will ever do.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts