Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-
I don't know if I'm crazy or not, but I've heard from a few people that there are rear-drive Taurus' out there, possibly police cars?

Anyone else heard of that? If so, take a 351W from an old mustang, build it up for about 300 hp, change the tranny and the rear (put the old 8" from a mustang-indestructible), with 3.73 gears, and you got a damn fast car...

Not sure if it could be done, nor am I sure if there are actually rear-drive tauri, but it would be cool...

JR

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Dunno where you heard that from. All Tauruses are FWD.

edit - Oh and welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Only RWD Taurii running around are turning laps on NASCAR circuits.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As far as I know, rear wheel drive tauri exist on paper only. But yes, that car would be very fast. But that car would weigh probably close to 3500 or more, and with RWD, I dont know how it would handle on the street. It probably would be more realistic to just get a mustang and put a taurus body over the frame.
So yeah, you are crazy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@Jan 10 2004, 06:06 PM
Not true...

Mine was converted to rear wheel drive then converted to all wheel drive after my twin turboed, E-ramed, ethanol burning, full Morana catalog equipped, Vulcan broke the 700 horsepower mark.

Now it's great. I beat a Skyline R34 last week and I wasn't even on the gas, just merging into traffic.

BTW, I have no timeslips, no dynographs, no pictures of my Taurus other than when it was stock, and I live in a secluded part of Oregon, so unfortunetly no one can verify this. But please, I'm not a liar... I'll get pictures next week when my buddy lets me borrow his camera.

Edit: Seems that the pictures were erased off the camera. How tragic. You'll just have to beleive me guys. I'll try to borrow another friends camera since the first friend just went ot France for the winter.

Edit2: Wouldn't you know it! My buddy just got back, but last week my dad made me take all of the modifications off when he saw me racing a Viper GTS down the street. So the car is back to stock except for the chrome door trims, chrome hubcaps, and the steering wheel cover...

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Originally posted by Mikeys_Taurus+Jan 10 2004, 08:22 PM-->QUOTE (Mikeys_Taurus @ Jan 10 2004, 08:22 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TrueBlue
@Jan 10 2004, 06:06 PM
Not true...

Mine was converted to rear wheel drive then converted to all wheel drive after my twin turboed, E-ramed, ethanol burning, full Morana catalog equipped, Vulcan broke the 700 horsepower mark.

Now it's great. I beat a Skyline R34 last week and I wasn't even on the gas, just merging into traffic.

BTW, I have no timeslips, no dynographs, no pictures of my Taurus other than when it was stock, and I live in a secluded part of Oregon, so unfortunetly no one can verify this. But please, I'm not a liar... I'll get pictures next week when my buddy lets me borrow his camera.

Edit: Seems that the pictures were erased off the camera. How tragic. You'll just have to beleive me guys. I'll try to borrow another friends camera since the first friend just went ot France for the winter.

Edit2: Wouldn't you know it! My buddy just got back, but last week my dad made me take all of the modifications off when he saw me racing a Viper GTS down the street. So the car is back to stock except for the chrome door trims, chrome hubcaps, and the steering wheel cover... [/b]
hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

That was mint, Mikey. I love it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Along this line, a funny thing happened when I was shopping for my 1998 LX (no longer have it). I had noticed when looking through the owner's manual that there were two trannys listed for the Vulcan motor (and yes I NOW know the difference). When I asked the salesman about this, he said that he wasn't sure, but if I'd wait a minute he'd go ask. He gets back and says that one is for the FWD Taurus and one is for the RWD taurus.....
What a dumb "donkey"!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Many of us have been around long enough to sit and hear many people talking about what they are going to do to their cars. Until recently it was discussed in a nice manner. But what the heck is up with the sudden bashing of ideas? I haven't been here that long and i know the countless turbo/supercharger posts that i have seen, but i have never bashed anybody for it. I very highly doubt it will EVER happen, but it might, and there is no reason to bash them for it. Mikey i know you were just messing around but all this post was asking was if there was a RWD taurus because the topic starter had heard a rumor that there could be, there was really no reason for that post, all this club seems to be doing anymore is scaring away anybody new and becomming a group of _seniors_ with attitudes towards everybody and everything that is not out of the norm. If you don't think something is EVER going to happen, fine, make sure to put a post-it on your monitor, but there is really no need for constant ridicule. We would have a LOT more active members if we didn't always shut down everything. Educate, but do no discourage like we do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I shouldn't have directed that post towards Mikey or this thread, just been a bad day I guess. Sorry Mikey, no offense meant by that, I was thinking more of the twin turbo post that came up recently and things that are going along with it. I just hate it that when you log into the TCCA and click on the performace section you will see like 5 updated threads but whe you click on maitinance (btw I don't spell) you will see at least 10 or 15 new threads started.

J

·
0 Posts
you're a funny guy mikey :p anyhow, why would you want a rwd taurus. i live in PA so i buy cars around how well i'll be able to get around in the snow. if you live in florida, go for it, but not up here in the north unless you wanna park it for 5 months of the year =\

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Originally posted by jeS.cut@Jan 15 2004, 12:09 AM
you're a funny guy mikey :p anyhow, why would you want a rwd taurus. i live in PA so i buy cars around how well i'll be able to get around in the snow. if you live in florida, go for it, but not up here in the north unless you wanna park it for 5 months of the year =\
RWD vehicles can be fine in the winter. You don't see BMWs sliding around in the winter. I see my Sable doing 360s because the drum brakes in the rear make my ABS useless and i just skid around. Its a bit different controlling a RWD car but if you have traction control and a set of good tires you are fine.

And I live in Canada, so I'm well accustomed to snow.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Mikey has been playing midnight Madness toooo much!!! Or was it Illeagal Street Racing that someone had the Taurus patches for??? Either way those particular mods get some chili!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
RWD vehicles can be fine in the winter. You don't see BMWs sliding around in the winter. I see my Sable doing 360s because the drum brakes in the rear make my ABS useless and i just skid around. Its a bit different controlling a RWD car but if you have traction control and a set of good tires you are fine.

And I live in Canada, so I'm well accustomed to snow. [/b]
Rwd and fwd cars are not that different to controll in NORMAL drive conditions and speeds but when u do over drive the car there is a big different. there are electronic traction controls and even if you dont have these luxuries, there is a second traction control system on every car. its call your right foot... Like me and a bunch of my friends in class say "I got twitchy left foot and heavy right foot, lets play."

and you bastard you have snow i miss it so much. hard packed on some surface streets just punch and spin till the end of 3nd

D

·
0 Posts
Not sure if it could be done, nor am I sure if there are actually rear-drive tauri, but it would be cool...[/b]
It can be done but it would take cubic dollars. I've seen a couple of front wheel to rear wheel conversions (not on taurus, but others).

I have also considered the idea and have many of the details worked out but cannot pursue it just yet. I have been in contact with several aftermarket and racing chassis companies that make subframes and frames for racing and component type cars. One was Art Morris. After a lengthy conversation he said it actually wouldn't be that hard to do but of course it would not be very cheap either. If I ever had the time to invest in getting it done correctly I might give it a shot. I know one place did do a rear drive conversion for the Ford Focus (I think) and the kit to make the swap was not quite ready for the market and was priced at $5,600. A lot of man hours in custom welding and fabrication is also required.

Welcome to TCCA.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
So what are the advantages you're looking to see through a rwd car? I'm guessing you can stuff a bigger engine under the hood, but not THAT much bigger. And maybe rwd transmissions are stronger? But I thought rwd was less efficient than fwd and lost more power to the wheels. But I guess with the huge after market for rwd applications it would still be worth it.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Jan 15 2004, 09:37 AM
So what are the advantages you're looking to see through a rwd car? I'm guessing you can stuff a bigger engine under the hood, but not THAT much bigger. And maybe rwd transmissions are stronger? But I thought rwd was less efficient than fwd and lost more power to the wheels. But I guess with the huge after market for rwd applications it would still be worth it.
RWD tranny's are easier to build stronger, yes, and a bigger engine could probably be dropped into the car. And, I believe in practice it is easier to make RWD cars more efficient because everything isn't so packed up.

Plus, the obvious: if you are gonna be racing in your Taurus (that makes me giggle), RWD will do wonders for your off-the-line traction.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
The only FWD to RWD conversion that I have seen done was one done my friend Tiki. His father did frame off restorations of collector cars so Tiki had access to many tools and jigs. Tiki fabricated a tube frame with an custom front suspension with coil over shocks. A narrowed Ford 7" rear end was installed in a custom four link suspension and coil over shocks. Tiki used konis both front and rear. For an engine we installed a very stout 283 Chevy (Tiki wanted to install a set of Hillborn Injectors, but we would have to cut the windsheild to clear) and a turbo 350 (turbo 400 would not fit). The drive shaft was 6" yoke to yoke. A 1970 Honda 600 body with the dash, firewall and front seats removed was installed over the frame. The stock 10" wheels were installed in the front and 13" wheels were installed in the rear. Tiki covered the back part of the engine and the transmission that was in the passenger compartment with sheet aluminum. He made a small dash with a tach, water temp, oil pressure and gas gauge. When the car was done, the Honda tipped the truck scales at 1200lbs with Tiki in the car. We had to ride in the back seat. That car was fast and very scary. I drove it once and it scared the sh*t out of me when I floored from a roll in first. You can smoke the tires in first, second or third; the transmission was highly modified and had a full manual valve body. When we would stop at a light people would look around for the car with the very loud exhaust and lopey idle and would see us sitting in the back seat with huge grins on our faces. Tiki was a extremely talented fabricator and it took him almost a year to create this car. He also made a go cart with a Yamaha RD400 motor installed but thats another story.

Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts