Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Ford Taurus that the back door is stuck shut because the outside door handle is broken, and the child lock is engaged. I was wondering if anyone knows any tricks to get the door unlock and turn off the child lock. thanks

·
Registered
701 Posts
You could try to remove the door card so you can operate the latch directly to open the door. Or a "slim jim" may work.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
See if you can shimmy a flat head screw driver into either side of the slits where the door handle itself goes into the door. See if you can shimmy and lift up on it enough to maybe unlatch the door? Otherwise the slim jim idea sounds good.

Looks like more and more Gen 1s are suffering from the same issue a lota 90s Camry's have, broken exterior door handles.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do you mean by the door card, are you talking about the plastic around the handle?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, does anyone else have any ideas about this? thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Since the handle is broken, lift or tear it out of the way, drill out the two rivets and remove the back half of the plastic. Then you can see the lever to operate the latch. Had a broken handle on mine, I can use my finger to open the door with the handle out of the way.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thanks, after i drill out thos rivets can i still put a new door handle in and lock it in or not

·
Registered
23,392 Posts
I got an auto lock-out tool set from harbor freight years ago that inc. a couple diff. size slim-jims & various other tools & gadgets for apprx. $10. Dont know the item or lot# or if they even carry it anymore as orig. pkging. is gone. Dont see it on their website. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. Standard procedure for replacing those handles.
alright so i just need to drill out the metal rivets at the bottom of the handle and then go to an auto parts shop and buy a new handle then just put it back on?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts