Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can tell my fronts are working because the rotors are clean from the rubbing. The rears are a bit rusty and the rust never gets rubbed off.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Rotors Rust

I can tell my fronts are working because the rotors are clean from the rubbing. The rears are a bit rusty and the rust never gets rubbed off.
Rotors rust, especially if you have open wheels. See pic.

I sand them if they are not too bad, 80G as in the pic. In any case I sand the area that faces the flange so the rotors that have been off run true and not have rust between the faces. The pic with the sander shows fronts that have rusted too bad to salvage, and this is not from the rust belt, (used car). Othe pic shows new rotors, not driven, just a shower of rain and rust is already there. It will rub off with enough use on the fronts. The rears do not work hard and they will rust and not clean up with light driving. Been there, done that. For my light duty driving, my '01 wagon, I sand the rotors each fall. I wash them is soap and water to be sure no rust dust or sand dust on them befor reinstall.

-chart-

·
Registered
697 Posts
Are both rear disks not working? Does the parking brake hold?

Usually one may not work but the other should since they are on different fluid circuits.

Does the car have rear ABS?

When was the last time the rear brakes were serviced and what was done?

·
Registered
93 Posts
what I would do is engage the parking break, jack up the car, try to spin the rear wheels, if they spin check if the rear pads are making contact with the rotors

By the way how long has this car been standing?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My parking brake cable snapped a year or two ago. It kind of dangles down unless I keep it in at all times. It doesn't actually grip at all. I was actually wondering if the parking brake is an integral part of rear brake functioning.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Adjustment

My parking brake cable snapped a year or two ago. It kind of dangles down unless I keep it in at all times. It doesn't actually grip at all. I was actually wondering if the parking brake is an integral part of rear brake functioning.
The parking brake adjusts the rear disks.

No parking brake use, no adjusting.

-chart-

·
Registered
697 Posts
How you proceed depends on whether you have the skills and interest to DIY or if you need to take it in to a service business.

Your rear calipers are apparently not working which could be due to extremely worn pads or frozen pistons, to name a couple of possibilities.

It is advisable to take it in for a check as this is a potential safety issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had it checked out. Apparently it's seized calipers. The inner pads are worn out but the outer pads have 3/4 life. He'll try to fix the calipers or replace them. Also, I'll be getting rotors and pads.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Uneven Wear

Had it checked out. Apparently it's seized calipers. The inner pads are worn out but the outer pads have 3/4 life. He'll try to fix the calipers or replace them. Also, I'll be getting rotors and pads.
If one side wears more than the opposing pad, then it is not the cailper at fault. It is the guide pins on which it slides. And remember, the parking brake adjusts the rear calipers.
And as a second source of uneven wear, it the pads get tight in the yoke, then that can cause uneven wear. Only likely in serious rust issues.
-chart-

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya, that's what he said. He fixed the guide pins. Braking power is rather improved now. About what I expected since 35% of the car's weight is on the rears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts