Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '93 Taurus, my wife informed me of a burning smell. Investigating, I found the right rear disc brake was metal to metal. The left side had better then 80% wear left. Assuming the caliper was bad, I replaced it, the disc and the pads, bled the system.I am still getting some burning smell and it seems that the brake is still dragging.

Any ideas what I did wrong or forgot to do?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
When you say left and righ...are you referring to left and right brake pad or side of the car?

If you were saying that one pad was worn more than the other on the same side, then its not your calliper, but your calliper bracket that was siezed up and needs replacement. But if you meant BOTH pads on the right rear side were dead and the left rear was good, then the left side calliper is fozen and needs replacement, not the right.

Burning spell could be the brakes "breaking" in.

Brad

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like the caliper bolt slides are forzen, any time you perform a brake job you should regrease these slides. The old ones can be removed and cleaned up but everytime I have seen frozen ones removed they genreally need replacing due to corrosion

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Don't make the mistake I made and only replace one caliper when it goes bad. After six months of squeaking and squealing I had to replace the other caliper and the pads on both sides had to be replaced again.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Replace the caliper, pins and bracket, and the hose. I've been there twice now, in both of my Taurus' with rear discs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts