Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody converted the rear drum brakes to disc brakes? this is something im interested in doing that doesnt seem all that hard. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Hmm...good question. I think the biggest concern I would have is the ABS module, if your car has ABS. If it doesn't then you may be good to go.

Next would be the spindle for the disc brake version. You would probably want all the hardware that attaches to the disc brake spindle, not sure what all the hardware may be. Swap out the drum brake spindle for the disc brake spindle + all associated hardware.

How about the emergency parking brake cable? Are they the same between drum and disc brakes? I don't know but it is something you will have to look into.

Monsoon.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i belive youll need the backing plate and the 4 bolts that hold it on to the knuckle. Rotors, pads, calipers, caliper brackets, brake line. And possibly the e barke cable.

If your car does not have ABS that it doesnt matter which backing plate you get. I belive all backing plates for disc brakes all have the hole for the ABS sensor. Consider the hole weight savings with non ABS cars.

You can get teh vented set up from the 90-91 SHO put ive been finding good quality parts harder to find. So it would probably be best to get the rear disc from a gen3 (taurus, sho sable, their all the same rear). Since good quailty parts are still easy to find.
And later on, you can up the rear brakes again buy putting on the front brakes, on the rear.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It's a really expensive upgrade (for what you get in terms of performance). I believe the rotor, caliper, and pad (which you should probably buy all new) will cost you about $150 bucks at Autozone for _each_ side (without core exchange), add or substract a little. Then there is a ton of other little parts. It think the total cost is much closer to $400 than $200.

·
Registered
173 Posts
But most of your braking is done in the front. There won't be such a greater stopping power, might be slightly better. I would think about the bigger calibers and pads on the front with dual pistons perhaps? ;)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
But most of your braking is done in the front. There won't be such a greater stopping power, might be slightly better. I would think about the bigger calibers and pads on the front with dual pistons perhaps? ;)
Yeah. That's what I am saying. The hundreds of dollars spent on rear disc conversion could buy some serious upgrade for the front. I think the biggest value of the rear disk conversion is the aesthetic one. It's specially embarrassing to have that rusty big drum protruding though when you have some nice alloy rims. For example, I'd never put these with the rear drums:

Amazon.com: Konig Incident Graphite Machined - 16 x 7 Inch Wheel: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more

(Actually, this Konig Incident doesn't look good unless you have at least 12 inch rotor on all wheels.)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
LOL, I don't have to worry about it, since I have a wagon. Its kinda funny, some people make fun of me cause they think of Taurus as an old peoples car, or at least a midlife car for someone who is not in crisis. They especially think so about a wagon, yet my car gets disc brakes all the way around and a Duratec motor. It sounds sweet with an exhaust setup. Its like honestly people, how is a Taurus wagon that already has slightly sporty parts any less cool than say a Subaru Outback, which they don't like to call a wagon, its a hatchback. The new buzzword is crossover. If I had 4WD would that make my car a crossover too? Oh wait, the CRV is considered a crossover and it doesn't have 4WD.

Anyway, a good way to do a conversion is to find a Taurus that already has them in the junkyard, wagons will pretty much always have them. If the car has 4WD ABS, it will also have them.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Hmm...has anybody heard of paint? As in paint the brake drums. OH don't forget they have "special" paint to with stand heat as well.

Monsoon

·
Registered
173 Posts
LOL, I don't have to worry about it, since I have a wagon. Its kinda funny, some people make fun of me cause they think of Taurus as an old peoples car, or at least a midlife car for someone who is not in crisis. They especially think so about a wagon, yet my car gets disc brakes all the way around and a Duratec motor. It sounds sweet with an exhaust setup. Its like honestly people, how is a Taurus wagon that already has slightly sporty parts any less cool than say a Subaru Outback, which they don't like to call a wagon, its a hatchback. The new buzzword is crossover. If I had 4WD would that make my car a crossover too? Oh wait, the CRV is considered a crossover and it doesn't have 4WD.

Anyway, a good way to do a conversion is to find a Taurus that already has them in the junkyard, wagons will pretty much always have them. If the car has 4WD ABS, it will also have them.
Well people will say anything to make them feel good, its your car do it how you must. I kinda wished I had a hatchback though, I heard having a sub sounds better but there is also more room to even haul things even!

And painted drums look pretty cool as well, better then disc brakes. just saying :p

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wagon disks won't fit a sedan and ABS=disks isn't always true. My sister-in-law's '99 Sable with rear drums has ABS.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Wagon disks won't fit a sedan and ABS=disks isn't always true. My sister-in-law's '99 Sable with rear drums has ABS.
The wagon disc do fit the sedan, and I said 4 wheel ABS. If it doesn't have 4 wheel ABS then it won't have discs either, and all 4 wheel ABS does in fact have discs. If your sisters has drums on the back, it only has rear ABS.

The disk brakes from the wagons do work on the sedans, anyone who tells you otherwise have never tried it. What do you think the conversion on SHOSource is based on?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The wagon disc do fit the sedan, and I said 4 wheel ABS. If it doesn't have 4 wheel ABS then it won't have discs either, and all 4 wheel ABS does in fact have discs. If your sisters has drums on the back, it only has rear ABS.

The disk brakes from the wagons do work on the sedans, anyone who tells you otherwise have never tried it. What do you think the conversion on SHOSource is based on?
Sedan parts? We use sedan only parts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
funny, this is the wheel I use right now, and its on there because of an accident destroyed my 2 front wheels( and luckily, just them) years ago. I did do an rear disc upgrade in the back and Cobra dual piston calipers up front afterwards, and yes, being able to have the brakes show thru is one of the largest advantages of those wheels.

Yeah. That's what I am saying. The hundreds of dollars spent on rear disc conversion could buy some serious upgrade for the front. I think the biggest value of the rear disk conversion is the aesthetic one. It's specially embarrassing to have that rusty big drum protruding though when you have some nice alloy rims. For example, I'd never put these with the rear drums:

Amazon.com: Konig Incident Graphite Machined - 16 x 7 Inch Wheel: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more

(Actually, this Konig Incident doesn't look good unless you have at least 12 inch rotor on all wheels.)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

No. The Taurus/Sable line never had rear-only ABS (vehicles like the Ranger did for a little while). Any Taurus from 1990-early 99 built model sedan (with ABS) came with 4 wheel DISC. Sometime from early 99 until the last sedan was built, the rear brakes were drum and front were disc. It was still 4 wheel ABS.

Certain components that people may use for the swap from drum to disc on their sedan will not work if they get the parts from a wagon. It saves a lot of time/headaches to use stuff from a sedan for a sedan, rather than getting some stuff from a wagon and some from a sedan for doing the swap. It's also easier to source a sedan, since more of them were made than wagons.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
And from my initial post, has anybody addressed the emergency brake cable issue? What change are done here?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I think there's an extensive step-by-step with a lot of pics in the Topic Finder of a member doing this conversion, IIRC.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts