Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my 2001 Taurus to rear disc brakes over the weekend. Everything went really well except for the ABS sensors. I noticed the ABS sensors for the drum brakes are not compatible with the disc brake spindle. I saw in the wiki that I could drill a hole in the spindle to accommodate, but I decided to use the ABS sensors from the Sable with disc brakes I pulled the spindles from. The problem is the connectors for the disc brake ABS sensors have the tab on the opposite side as the connectors from my 2001 Taurus. I decided to cut the tabs off and connect it. Now I'm afraid to start the car though, because I don't want to fry the ABS. I'm worried the wires are crossed. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I upgraded my 2001 Taurus to rear disc brakes over the weekend. Everything went really well except for the ABS sensors. I noticed the ABS sensors for the drum brakes are not compatible with the disc brake spindle. I saw in the wiki that I could drill a hole in the spindle to accommodate, but I decided to use the ABS sensors from the Sable with disc brakes I pulled the spindles from. The problem is the connectors for the disc brake ABS sensors have the tab on the opposite side as the connectors from my 2001 Taurus. I decided to cut the tabs off and connect it. Now I'm afraid to start the car though, because I don't want to fry the ABS. I'm worried the wires are crossed. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Yes. Just reuse the old ABS sensors that you had with the drum brakes. Yeah, I know the holes dont line up, but you will very likely NEVER engage the rear ABS anyway. This will make it so the ABS light does not come on, and technically your ABS will still work. The pressure of the plastic against the metal hole is enough to hold the sensor in place. You will be fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is a very easy solution to this that I figured out, I just did this swap and successfully got the ABS to work correctly. I hope you have changed your rear hub/bearing assemblies to the disc ones, they are different. The tone ring is far too small on a drum hub to obtain a proper air gap, using a drum hub assy on a disc backing plate.

Using the correct disc hub/bearing assy, I then took the drum abs sensors and carefull drilled a hole next to the screw mounting hole already there, on the side closer to the sensor tip. Then I took a dremel and made the two holes into a continuous slot. Then I took a 3/8" piece of rubber fuel hose and cut two 1/2" long sections from it. Press each section around the tip of each drum abs sensor and slide it all the way down. Now your drum abs sensor is a press fit and centers relative to the disc hub/bearing assy tone ring. Use a lock washer under the head of each bolt and use a feeler gauge set to get a reasonable air gap while tightening and checking each sensor. The rubber fuel hose has enough give if you find the air gap too loose or tight, you can loosen the bolt a little, press the sensor with your finger to nudge in the direction needed, and re tighten. I set the air gap to 15 thou per side, because that is the gap I measured on a stock setup.

ABS computer is happy, works great.

I tried using an earlier pair of ABS sensors for disc application that fit the backing plates, and I did cut the tabs off, but they were not compatible with the ABS computer of my 2004. The tabs are different for a reason.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When I did my conversion, I used a dremel to elongate the holes in my drum abs sensors. It seams to be working, I don't have any lights on the instrument cluster and my abs works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts