Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that my defroster stopped working and the first thing I checked were the two contacts on either end of the rear glass and I found that one had come off (old glue maybe?) Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and what type of adhesive was used to re-attach the contact. I thought about epoxy, that rearview mirror glue, and plain old tape. Any suggestions on what works best to maintain the conductivity between the two points as well as a semi-permanent fix? Thanks!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I recently used a Permatex Window Defogger Repair Kit I picked up from AutoZone (about $9) to repair my rear defrost grid. Also included in the kit were some materials to fix the tabs, but I didn't need them.

Also, someone recommended this product and said it worked very well to repair the tabs on their SHO, but I don't have personal experience with it:

http://www.frostfighter.com/ff_products.htm

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info rockledge! Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I tried the glue route and it left abit to be deisred. I ended up soldering them back on carefully on my wagon. I took the window out and did the soldering, if you have a sedan it may be very difficult to get in there with a solder gun. If you go that route make sure the window is warm as the soldering of the lead my crack the glass if it is cold.

Spiff

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the crazy glue method today and it seems to be holding fine. We'll have to see later on if it really works once the frost sets in otherwise I'll have to try rockledges method. Sorry Spiff, don't want to take that chance with the window but thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Whatever you guys do, don't break your back glass. I saw it on fordparts4u.com for about $1400, while the front windsheild is only around$300

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crazy glue didn't work so I guess I'll use sand paper to remove the adhesive and use a more conductive material.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i thinik my rear defroster takes too long.. to get the mild frosts out...

and I dont see any contacts on the read windshield... atleast not visible... this a 96 gl. gen 3

any ideas..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, when the terminal came off my rear window I could see the contact so I'm pretty sure you have one too unless it's hidden behind a pillar. I'm going to keep trying until I get it fixed. it worked great before, defrosted my rear window in a few minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts