Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put 6 1/2 inch speakers in the rear deck of a gen 3 taurus/sable? I have a 98 sable and I was wondering how hard it was to install 6 1/2 speakers back there through the stock 5x7 holes. If anyone has pictures of what to do or suggestions, that would be appreciated. The reason I want to put 6 1/2 inchers back there is b/c then I can use a midbass driver type speaker, which is many people say is better for SQ when you already have a component system up front, versus having a coaxial speaker in the rear.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I tried using some Kenwood 6 1/2"s in the back. However, the 6x8 Pioneers sounded better..... both are cheap speakers, so my conclusion is that better speakers would make the difference.

My Contour has Polk Audio component 6 1/2" speakers in the front doors in place of the OEM 6x8's. They sound much better.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There is really no reason to use components in the rear. All you're doing is spending money worthlessly, because as other people will tell you, the rear speakers are "filler" only. The front speakers should be giving you your highs and mids, and the subs should be giving you your bass. The rears only fill in the gaps.

Personally, I have 5x7" Cerwin-Vega's in the rear of mine. They sound really good and increase the loudness of the car to a pretty large extent. You would be better off going with a 6x9" speaker back there, bottom mounted, if you don't have subs. This will provide a good amount of bass for you. If you do have subs, go with a 5x7" coaxial. I personally like Infinity, Audiobahn, Polk, JL, or Kenwood. I'd stay away from Pioneer speakers, and stay FAR away from Sony X-plods...

JR

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. What I have now is a component set in the front, Boston Acoustics Rally RC820, the 5x7 component set, powered by a Zapco Z300C2 Amp. The rear deck speakers are stock, they get pretty decent bass but they will not take a ton of power until they distort, not too mention the tweeter or higher frequencies do not sound as good out of them. The component set I have sounds really nice, but doesnt get much bass, probably due to the fact that they are in the door, where as the trunk acts more like an enclosure which enhances bass. What I would like to do is to put a set of CDT HD62 6 1/2 inch midbass drivers in the rear for my bass. My main question is this, how hard is to properly mount a 6 1/2 inch speaker in a 5x7 cut out? If it is a major project, I wont do it but then, who makes good non-coaxial 5x7 midbass drivers?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by Blackhawk@Jul 21 2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the responses. What I have now is a component set in the front, Boston Acoustics Rally RC820, the 5x7 component set, powered by a Zapco Z300C2 Amp. The rear deck speakers are stock, they get pretty decent bass but they will not take a ton of power until they distort, not too mention the tweeter or higher frequencies do not sound as good out of them. The component set I have sounds really nice, but doesnt get much bass, probably due to the fact that they are in the door, where as the trunk acts more like an enclosure which enhances bass. What I would like to do is to put a set of CDT HD62 6 1/2 inch midbass drivers in the rear for my bass. My main question is this, how hard is to properly mount a 6 1/2 inch speaker in a 5x7 cut out? If it is a major project, I wont do it but then, who makes good non-coaxial 5x7 midbass drivers?
Thanks
Mmmm...... Boston Acoustics rally... *drools* :lol: Bet you don't have any complaints about those! :p I wanted to get a set of those but they have been discontinued so i'm gonna go with a set of pro series bostons. :D I have also noticed that the front doors kill the bass. I originally had my coaxial Fx8 bostons up front and they sounded like they had no bass at all! I switched them to the back when I put in a component infinity set and boy there was a good difference in bass output on the bostons. :D I still think the bostons dont put out as much bass as other speakers IE pioneer or kenwood BUT the other speakers don't sound as clear. They sound more sharp and screetchy with alot of bass but dont have midrange or clarity. The bostons have more clarity and overall smooth sound. Maybe a set of Fx8's would suffice? What do you think? BTW where did you get your bostons?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Xmann, yeah I really love the way the Bostons sound as far as clarity and smoothness, not too sharp not too laid back. I actually got the speakers off ebay, they were brand new and unused, that was about a month ago. I just installed them a week ago though. You are right, they just discontinued them b/c they are not listed on Bostons website anymore, but when I bought the speakers they were listed. If you do a search they will still come up on the website though.

If anyone has pictures or advice on a rear deck install of 6 1/2 inch speakers that would be good, else I can fall back on a set of boston acoustics 5x7 for the rear as a plan B.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Blackhawk,
You can get some 1/2" MDF (medium density fiberboard), cut two pieces, slightly larger that the 5x7 opening in the rear deck, then test mount them. Then, using the template that most likely comes with the speakers, trace out the 6 1/2" hole onto the mdf. Cut the hole, mount the speaker, wire it up, secure the the mdf back to the deck and your in business. The 1/2" thickness will give you more that enough room to accomodate the speaker. The only thing you'll have to make sure of is that you have enough room between the rear deck cover (carpet?) and the speaker cones/surrounds.
I used the MDF thing for mounting my Morel component set in my '01 SES's doors.
Gary

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You don't need to go to all that trouble to mount the 6.5"s in a 5x7" opening. I have 6.5" Audiobahns in my doors, which are 5x7" openings, as I'm sure you know. There is nothing additional you need to do. The baskets should fit in properly, top mounted, and if they don't grab a Dremel and cut out some of the rear parcel shelf, where the speakers mount. Either that, or you could simply bottom mount them. Then Gen III has more than enough room under the parcel shelf to bottom mount speakers there.

JR

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by Blackhawk@Jul 21 2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks
the HD-62's are a component set, the HD-6 is the mid driver itself. IMO, I wouldn't throw that much money down on rear fill. If you're really stuck on CDT (which I just recieved my CDT speakers last night, hehe), I'd go with a set of CL-6x for the rear. Rear fill is usually comprised of midbass (not highs and not bass). Properly installed and attenuated rear fill can give the impression of a raised soundstage. The 6x's cost only half of what the HD-6's cost as well. I'm going to start my install tonight and hopefully have it finished by the end of the weekend, I'll let you know how they sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you are right, the HD62 is the component set, I meant the HD6. Anyway, it sounds like a 6 1/2 will fit fairly easy then. Even if they dropped in though, I would want to make sure that the stock hole is filled and sealed well, otherwise I would get cancellation. I will probably go that route and maybe make an adapter plate or something to make sure that the old hole is entirely sealed. If anyone has a picture of their 6 1/2 speakers in the rear, that may also be helpful. It might not be for a little while until I buy and install them because of other projects and stuff going on, but I just wanted to make sure that they would fit before I buy them.
Thanks again for the suggestions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts