Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder if rear cupholder from Gen4 2001 Taurus will be a direct fit instead of rear ash-tray on mine 96 GL? Looks like they are interchangeable. I don't need the ash tray, but such cup holder will be a good and useful mod. Here the pics:

Gen3 ash-tray

may be someone has already done same mod?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wonder if rear cupholder from Gen4 2001 Taurus will be a direct fit instead of rear ash-tray on mine 96 GL? Looks like they are interchangeable. I don't need the ash tray, but such cup holder will be a good and useful mod. Here the pics:

Gen3 ash-tray

may be someone has already done same mod?
idk, you should be the first! should be fairly cheap to obtain as well.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
It won't fit without some modification from what I can see. I got one from a local junk yard and tried to install it last weekend actually. It won't fit into the hole because of the steel bracket inside the console. I plan to when I get the time take my dremel and cut away the metal to make it fit. Other then that there shouldn't be any other issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It won't fit without some modification from what I can see. I got one from a local junk yard and tried to install it last weekend actually. It won't fit into the hole because of the steel bracket inside the console. I plan to when I get the time take my dremel and cut away the metal to make it fit. Other then that there shouldn't be any other issue.
thanx!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the_intimidator_02, so as I've understood, I need to remove these pieces of metal, and the gen4's cup-holder will fit gen3's center console?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
From what I can make of it yes. I haven't had the time to actually cut the metal away and install it yet. But I removed the ashtray and attempted to fit it. The screw holes lined up, but it would not go in as the cup holder was hitting on the steel bracket. Hopefully this weekend I can get around to tackling this project. It would be a great mod that is very useful for those in the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts