Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '99, seems reasonably good shape, and this will be my fourth bull. But I'm not that familiar with the rear suspension. There's a loud clunking coming from the right rear - sounds like a bunch of bricks or big rocks for lack of a better description. It does not necessarily follow bumps and is almost worse at lower speeds or at least I hear it more at those speeds. The rear does sag a little but peeking in the well the springs look good. Spring mounts? Could it actually be the shoes? It almost sounds like that but not to this extent, and the '04 my daughter wrecked had bad stabilizer bushings but they pretty much only rattled on bumps.

·
Registered
22,988 Posts
Do you have a rear sway bar on this '99? Some did some didn't. If so, check for broken/worn end links. I'd also check closer for broken springs, esp. near the bottom.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think you need to safely jack it up and pull the wheel off to really see what's going on. Like Sheila said, if you have a rear sway bar it could be the end links which isn't a big deal but it could also be a broken spring which is a big deal and shouldn't be driven until it's fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked. Rusty down there but the spring appears and feels intact. There's just the axle and what looks like a control arm, bushings at first glance are ok. Later I plan to tear apart the drums - I have suspicions, sounds like a loose shoe except that usually is only heard when you first move. But the brakes are not as strong as they should be, almost afraid to find out lol. Bigger fish to fry - a 1401 code couple with nasty miss when up to temp on accel plus hard start is priority if suspension is at least not broken ;). I probably would have passed if it had missed while test driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts