Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been having this problem with my '98 SE. It has four wheel disc w/ ABS.

The back brakes seem to be sticking. I can hear them rub after I come to a complete stop and then accelerate, it will kinda go "woom...woom....woom" and then go away. If I go around a turn, the caliper also seems to rub and it makes the same sound.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this?

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
My 96 had the same problem after I changed the pads. I couldn't find anything wrong. It persisted until that set wore out and I replaced them with a new set. Then it went away immediately. (not a great solution, sorry
)

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Check the slider pins. Wipe off the old dirty grease with a clean rag, and lubricate them with silicone grease (AutoZone sells $0.99 blister packs specifically for brake parts.) You can also replace them fairly cheaply. AutoZone sells a kit which has 2 slider pins, bolts, and boots for like $10. I'll bet you a packet of slider pin grease this is your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Mar 31 2004, 11:55 AM
Check the slider pins. Wipe off the old dirty grease with a clean rag, and lubricate them with silicone grease (AutoZone sells $0.99 blister packs specifically for brake parts.) You can also replace them fairly cheaply. AutoZone sells a kit which has 2 slider pins, bolts, and boots for like $10. I'll bet you a packet of slider pin grease this is your problem.
Good suggestion. On mine, the first time I changed the rears I got so annoyed trying to get the pistons rotated back in that I might have missed <cough>blown off<cough> greasing the caliper pins. I did grease them the next time (When I had figured out how to pistons back in. Bought the little tool and opened the bleeder screws.)

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That little tool everyone talks about...that you need for the rear disc...how much is it?

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
There are a couple different versions. One looks like a little cube, and is cheap ($10-ish). Here is one source. Most auto parts places carry this tool.

There is another tool that works much better, but it's expensive (>$50.) You can get it at Sears or some auto parts places, or here.

You can get by without either tool by using needle-nose pliers and a bit of patience. Just remember to open the bleeder screw just a crack, or you'll just frustrate yourself silly.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright guys, thats a lot. I greatly appreciate it. You're cool. ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a 98 Sable and I notice the same woom woom everytime I take my car out for the day. It only does it for about 1/4 mile or less then goes away for the rest of the day, sounds like it comes from the rear on the passenger side. Could this be from a sticky caliper, it has 4 wheel disc brakes with abs. I know the owner's manual talks about a abs/brake test upon start up, could that be related to what i am experiencing? Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts