Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, unfortunately an uninsured driver collided with my parked taurus twice with me sitting in it about to go to work :( . I am dealing with getting that resolved but have some questions to ask you guys. How hard is it to replace the completely smashed bumper? Will the rust around the bolts that hold the bumper on be an issued getting it fixed? I would like to tackle the repair myself but with the potential rust issue may let a shop try to get it off and put a new or junkyard one on. My bull is a 93 do you guys think my insurance will total it? How much have you guys gotten from insurance for damage like this? and how much do you think it ll cost to fix by myself or an independent shop?

Figures i just got done tackling the IAC valve issue and this happens.

Thank you for your advice.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
before you think about replacing it make sure that where the bumper mounts to the car is not bent. if it is bent you will likely have to fix that before you can put a new bumper on. if its not bent go to car-part.com and search for a bumper in your area that is cheap then just unbolt the old one and replace it. rust may be an issue soak it with pb blaster for a few days and you should be good. also use a 6 point socket to prevent rounding the head off of the bolt.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
before you think about replacing it make sure that where the bumper mounts to the car is not bent. if it is bent you will likely have to fix that before you can put a new bumper on. if its not bent go to car-part.com and search for a bumper in your area that is cheap then just unbolt the old one and replace it. rust may be an issue soak it with pb blaster for a few days and you should be good. also use a 6 point socket to prevent rounding the head off of the bolt.
Thank you! I will check today. From what ive seen so far inspecting some of the damage part of one of the bumper mounts was bent but not to much around the bolt itself on the mount. could that still be an issue?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked more and the mounts look ok but what parts exactly do i look for on that site? It lists many different parts for a bumper. I need more then a bumper cover right? I search in my area for i think bumper assembly and they had prices from 100 to 200 dollars. Is this decent prices?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
you could probably just search for bumper cover as it is all one piece anyway.

as for pricing that seams high did you go to the last page with listed prices? they are the cheapest. or if you let me know your state and zip code i can help you look as well

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you could probably just search for bumper cover as it is all one piece anyway.

as for pricing that seams high did you go to the last page with listed prices? they are the cheapest. or if you let me know your state and zip code i can help you look as well
Thank you. Looking closer at the damage it seems a bumper cover would be the only thing i need the metal supports are straight at least. I saw the price on that site for 50 to 75. is this a good price? If this isnt a good price please let me know and i will tell you my state and zip.

Thank ya. I can't wait for my bull to be looking decent again. Ugh before i get the money tho i have to wait for insurance to do their stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
ok those prices sound much better still not great but not bad. every once in a while you get lucky and find one for like 20 bucks though that doesnt happen too often...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Might try to find a paint-matched one at a pick n pull yard.

Thank you I will call around some local yards soon and see if i can nab one for a cheaper price. What would you guys do, get a 20 some dollar one that was off color or pay closer to 75 for a one that matches the car?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Gen 1 and 2 do not use a "bumper cover" the bumper is 1 piece of plastic. also the supports for the rear bumper are actually 1 time use shocks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gen 1 and 2 do not use a "bumper cover" the bumper is 1 piece of plastic. also the supports for the rear bumper are actually 1 time use shocks

So does that mean I have to replace those too? How much do those cost? Would those be hard to take off due to being rusty?

·
Registered
95 Posts
What would you guys do, get a 20 some dollar one that was off color or pay closer to 75 for a one that matches the car?
I would rather have the one that matches, but that is because:
· I have the funds to do it
· I like my car to look good, if practical
Your desires and means may vary. When I was driving a "beater" I tried to keep it looking reasonable, but would not put much money into it if I didn't have to.

Besides, what are we talking about here - a red bumper on a blue car? Or one that is close, but off a little?

A completely different color is gettin dangerously close to replacin yer broke out winder w/ plastic and duct tape IMO, but that's just me.

Git er done

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would rather have the one that matches, but that is because:
· I have the funds to do it
· I like my car to look good, if practical
Your desires and means may vary. When I was driving a "beater" I tried to keep it looking reasonable, but would not put much money into it if I didn't have to.

Besides, what are we talking about here - a red bumper on a blue car? Or one that is close, but off a little?

A completely different color is gettin dangerously close to replacin yer broke out winder w/ plastic and duct tape IMO, but that's just me.

Git er done
I was thinking more like hunter green one for cheap and mine being a teal green for more money but fits much better. I would only go with a really off color one if it was for free or if a green bumper would cost me 500 dollars. I paid to get the transmission fixed and want to keep this car for as long as i can. I plan on saving for a 4th gen bull eventually but after i get my monies worth outta the 2nd gen bull.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was thinking more like hunter green one for cheap and mine being a teal green for more money but fits much better. I would only go with a really off color one if it was for free or if a green bumper would cost me 500 dollars. I paid to get the transmission fixed and want to keep this car for as long as i can. I plan on saving for a 4th gen bull eventually but after i get my monies worth outta the 2nd gen bull.
Well, by all means, do what you need to do. Put it in good working order as cheaply as possible and press on! Dave Ramsey would completely agree w/ me.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
the impact absorbers are not normally too bad to get out as long as you leave them attached to the bumper. i would suggest replacing them. i normally consider them part of the bumper myself. i take them off with the bumper, it is easier when putting the bumper back on.

as for the comment of it being one piece of plastic, pretty sure we know that. just car-part.com you have to search for a specific part so you just have to choose one and go with it maybe search for a few parts that are similar until you find what you want.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the impact absorbers are not normally too bad to get out as long as you leave them attached to the bumper. i would suggest replacing them. i normally consider them part of the bumper myself. i take them off with the bumper, it is easier when putting the bumper back on.

as for the comment of it being one piece of plastic, pretty sure we know that. just car-part.com you have to search for a specific part so you just have to choose one and go with it maybe search for a few parts that are similar until you find what you want.
Thank you. I will definately then replace those when I put on the new bumper. The insurance company is still dealing with the claim so once I get their estimate taken and their repair money sent out to me my bull will get nice and fixed up :D.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts