Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 Taurus GL wheel disc brakes
Right rear pad completely gone while the left side still have 1/2 pad life left. Caliper pins slide freely. Boot that covers the piston is tore in two and the piston is starting to show signs of pitting and rust. I could not turn it back in. Don't have time to do the work myself so it needs to go to the shop. What am I looking for to fix? I know I'll need new pads and the rotors turned. A new boot for the piston but do you think the piston is salvagable or will I need a new caliper? Is the boot the reason for the unusual wear?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Usually the slide bolts are what cause uneven wear on brake pads but with a frozen piston I would guess that is the reason.

You should not need the caliper replaced just because the piston is frozen. If you have an air compressor you can use it to help pop the piston out (don't try to catch it becuase it will come out with lot of force). A piston repair kit is available that should come with new seal, it may come with new piston, if not you woiuld probaby esire a new piston if te old one is all pitted and ben exposed to the environment. When you get the piston out check the coating to make final determination.

A brake job is normally about 60 but with the extra work I am just taking a guess at about $200 for hte whole job at a mufler/brake shop, not the dealership

·
Registered
629 Posts
Pitting and rust is due to the brake fluid being "shot." Your fluid is probably saturated with moisture, which is causing the corrosion. Change the brake fluid every two years and you will probably never have to replace, or even rebuild, calipers again. I would have them install a remanufactured caliper, change the rear pads (on both wheels), lube the caliper pins with silicone grease, and completely flush the car's brake system (use Valvoline SynPower Brake Fluid).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts