Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2003 Taurus SES and I did a rear disc conversion about 2 months ago. The brakes work and stop the car, however, they are squeaky, exceptionally bad at low speeds. Furthermore, in reverse sometimes they will squeak and make grinding noises without me pressing the brakes.

More information on brakes: The brakes are from a 99 taurus, they are solid rotors. The calipers are reconditioned, I have bled the brake lines a few times and the pedal has good firmness. To be clear, the brakes work, it is just annoying to listen to when the windows are down and driving in traffic haha Or through a drive-thru...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have a few ideas of what may be causing it, but I am no expert and extra thoughts and opinions are always a great way to learn!

An idea I had was the spacers for the pads where causing too little clearance, I removed them and same problem. Sticky calipers, however being newly reconditioned I would hope thats not it... Something on suspension loose causing wheel wobble, causing pads to run rotors on occasion... The most likely cause... Cheap rotors and pads..? I haven't ever had this problem with cheap rotors and pads, but I am also new to rear disks haha

Thanks all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, that is a good idea, I will have to try that in the next few days and see what happens. That could very well be the cause of the excessive squeaking, I'm not sure it would cause the pads to rub in reverse sometimes, but I could be wrong, only one way to find out!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Metallic and semi metallic pads tend to squeak, depending on exact materials, and how much dust they produce. Higher end pads have fewer problems. Ceramic pads produce little dust and tend to have excellent resistance to squeaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts