Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed new shoes and drums.
when installing tire and tightening lug nuts the wheel locks up.
Installed the old shoes with the new drums and no problem.
Apparently a problem with the new shoes,
The old shoes have a bevel ground on the pads on both ends, the new shoes do not.
Has anyone ever heard if this?
It makes no sense, I tried everything including leaving the adjustor backed off, etc
When you even push hard against the drum and try to spin it you can feel the resistance.
Auto parts has no answer

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Are those the correct shoes/drums for your application? If so, take shoes back and get a pre-beveled set or file/grind the ends of these. Also, drum diameters are different for sedan (smaller) and wagon (larger). Too, make sure wheel cylinders arent seizing (sticking). Neednt be leaking brake fluid to be seizing keeping the shoes extended too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the correct shoes, they showed me 2 other brands and neither had the bevel. I also returned the drums and tried a different brand with no change.
It just makes no sense that to tighten even 1 lugnut the drum locks up.
No steel noise etc, just as if you applied the brakes.
I tried driving it down the driveway at one point with the new equipment and it pulsed like you have an egg shaped drum.
I returned all the parts until i find an answer.
The old shoes and drums work fine.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Were the new drums snug to get over the new shoes with the starwheel self-adjuster backed all the way off? If so, suspect seized wheel cylinders or incorrect drum or shoe size. Hardware kit (springs, etc.) installed correctly? Lead and trailing shoes in proper position?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
What year is this car anyway? Did you shove in (retract) the cylinder pistons to bottom-out? They need to be fully seated with new hardware. The other thing to check for is inner contaminated/breaking down hoses (flex line to wheel), they can get nasty inside when old and can act like a brake fluid one-way check valve. I hate drum brakes, too many F-in parts, gotta do a year conversion on the Kid's car. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Brake shoes sit so far off the drum compared to disc brake. Drum brakes are less prone to lock up, as far as I know. OP must have been given wrong parts. I suggest to buy parts from another chain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its a 2007
Everything was installed correctly,
leading shoe, springs, adjuster backed off, wheel cyinders retracted,shoes centered, all new harware,
Just picture this,
install shoes
install drums
install wheel, wheel spins free
start to tighten lug nuts, even just one. wheel locks up as if brakes were applied.
Loosen lugs, wheel spins freely.
Tighten just one lug to about 85 foot lbs and you cannot physically turn the tire???????????????????????????/
Thank you everyone for the posts so far.
I am going to contact Wagner, they were there premium shoes, best they have.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Sounds like something is bottoming out and pinching. Either drums and/or shoes are wrong size - my guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts